Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
njnick78

Surfers

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

Besides the occasional surfers that do not respect that you were there first and still swim around the jetty to the spot that you are directly setup in, causing a major annoyance. How much does the presence of surfers affect the presence of fish? How far do you think you have to distance yourself from surfers if they do disturb the presence of fish at your favorite spot?

LoL 3 years back i was fising the south side of montauk while pencil popping i had a surfer cross my line , all i remember is the guys chest hit my 40 lb braid and watching him jump off his surf board ...5 seconds later he popped out of the water gave me the finger and got back on his board ...I was pretty spooked that he had hit his head on the rocks or what not .. But he didnt really seem to care.. got right back on his board and kept surfing away..confused.gif

I dont think that the fish seem to mind , i was landing coktails /blues before he crossed my line and after..I dont know how bass will act , However i dont think they would care if they are zoned in on your "presentation/offer"..smile.gif

Although a lot of people surf here in Australia, we don't really have that problem. We tend to fish in different parts of the beach or rocks.

I did hook a diver once and thought i hooked a dolphin at first. The diver simply come up to the surface, took the hook out of his vest and dived back down again tongue.gif

Being I surf nearly every single day I can answer your question for a fact.

I have had plenty of fish swim right around my feet while sitting on my board plenty of time, so my answer is for the most part no people sitting on a board in the water don't usually disturb the fish.

Is this gonna be another surfer vs. fishermen discussion?? argue.gifcwm27.gifcwm27.gif

Relax guys/gals, surfers will not affect your fishing. In fact, they can be a great source of information. When the water is clear, they see the baitfish and gamefish and can clue you in. Share the water.

Casting a plug or lead at them is ridiculous and immature.

Someone mentioned Jet Ski's (Waverunners), now that is a problem. Many of the folks who use these PWC's are both disrepectful and ignorant. I don't toss plugs at them, but when given the opportunity, a "conversation" will happen.

View PostThose people piss me off more then anything else in the world...

Wow, there's alot more in the world that get's my goat than a few dudes floating around in the ocean...war, terrorists, pollution, hunger, etc...smile.gif

Seriously though, surfers are on your side for the most part. We both share a common goal of protecting access, clean beaches, hate beach replenishment, etc. Good rule of thumb is first come, first serve. If you think they are being disrespectful let them know. But just like in fishing there are spots for surfing, and when it's 4-6 foot and offshore people tend to go a little deaf if someone is trying to tell them what to do from the jetty.

View PostBeing I surf nearly every single day I can answer your question for a fact.

I have had plenty of fish swim right around my feet while sitting on my board plenty of time, so my answer is for the most part no people sitting on a board in the water don't usually disturb the fish.

Is this gonna be another surfer vs. fishermen discussion?? argue.gifcwm27.gifcwm27.gif

View PostRelax guys/gals, surfers will not affect your fishing. In fact, they can be a great source of information. When the water is clear, they see the baitfish and gamefish and can clue you in. Share the water.

Casting a plug or lead at them is ridiculous and immature.

Someone mentioned Jet Ski's (Waverunners), now that is a problem. Many of the folks who use these PWC's are both disrepectful and ignorant. I don't toss plugs at them, but when given the opportunity, a "conversation" will happen.

Exactly! Use them as a resource not as target practice. We as surfers know where the rips and bait are. Sure some of you sharpies don't need any advice or help (headscratch.gif) but some of us non-sharpies could always use a little extra info. Surfers surf close to the piers and jetty's because that's where the best waves are. You just have to learn to share..The ocean is NO MANS LAND and surfers have just as much right to it. I can promise you fish are not afraid of surfers. I've seen 6' tarpon 4' away and he actually scared me much more than I him. The real problem is with PWC's... I'm a firm believer that they do spook fish and could possibly shut down a good bite.

And btw..I wouldn't suggest slinging a 8nbait or plug at them. Surfers travel in packs or usually know most other people in the line up. So hitting one may get you problems with a few! Although... I can bite through 50# mono and could use a few new plugs biggrin.gif

I don't know, maybe you guys are living somewhere where they have some decency. The surfers I know walk down to the jetty I'm fishing in pairs of typically 2-6, and begin to surf right infront of where I'm fishing, they than drift into the front of the jetty, and begin to take up that space as well, I hate these sobs more than you could imagine wink.gif.

see, I don't surf, but bodyboard. Much different name for us to surfers, but not sure if i can say it here.

Anyway, the largest problem with fisherman and surfers is that, especially during the summer, have very little water to head to, because of swimmers, and tourists. So the open water where you can surf, and fish, gets very full, very quickly. There are definitely considerate surfers, and also very inconsiderate surfers, but the same is said for fisherman. Generally you should not be fishing where there are surfers(except for right next to jetties) because the surfers are looking for breakers, and you are generally not as fisherman.

As to bugging fish, no way. I see TONS of fish come right up to me when bodyboarding. They love it. And those small yellow and white striped fish actually hand out RIGHT under the boards, they like the shade.

Try and be considerate to eachother, and if they are not considerate in return, just remember that they will eventually be hit by the Karma stick.