Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cobia_slayer

help me with choosing a blank!

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Looking for a blank that can throw 8-12oz (or more). I've already tried out a saltiga balistic but its a little too pricey for me. I've seen some other blanks but can't remember their model #. Ones I've seen are made by Rainshadow and St. Criox. If possible I'd like a list of a few blanks for me and details about them. Weight doesn't really matter as long as their not extremely heavy.

Thanks

Wheels Reels Fusion Mag! For what you want to do with it there is no better rod. I prefer the fusion but I will almost never throw 12oz. if it is that bad I will drink beer. I can throw 10-n-bait with it fine and love 8-bait. The Mag is rated just a bit higher but will do 8-12-n-bait too.

Another good option may be the AFAW Big Beach. I threw one this weekend and dang that is a powerful rod. Its not for me, because of the weight, but is no heavier than the Fusion or most of the WRI blanks.

Am I wrong that Wheels is no longer at this time making blanks?? I heard he had problems with offshore mfg basicly screwing him in a nut shell!!

The AfAW or maybe one of those new old Lami SB1604M....13'6 fiberglass...kooky.gif you would need a flatbed to get it to the beach..biggrin.gif

Talon makes a ton of ULUA blanks 13' and so on that I have never tried and a few surf blanks like the B-174 11' 8-16oz and b-132 11'6" 4-10. I have tried the B-132 and other Talons and I have never had a problem with any of them... Real nice blanks and not real $$$!Talon is very underrated blank mfg who made or makes blanks for alot of companys!!

CUI might have something to but I'm not sweet on them... Seeker might but it might be no better then the Lami. All glass and thick butt and one pc.

I will be using it for a conventional setup. Mostly for throwing large baits for sharks or cobia from the beach. A 13' or 13'6" would be preferred but a 12' would be ok too. And more than likely ima want a graphite composite blank.

View PostAm I wrong that Wheels is no longer at this time making blanks?? I heard he had problems with offshore mfg basicly screwing him in a nut shell!!

The AfAW or maybe one of those new old Lami SB1604M....13'6 fiberglass...kooky.gif you would need a flatbed to get it to the beach..biggrin.gif

Talon makes a ton of ULUA blanks 13' and so on that I have never tried and a few surf blanks like the B-174 11' 8-16oz and b-132 11'6" 4-10. I have tried the B-132 and other Talons and I have never had a problem with any of them... Real nice blanks and not real $$$!Talon is very underrated blank mfg who made or makes blanks for alot of companys!!

CUI might have something to but I'm not sweet on them... Seeker might but it might be no better then the Lami. All glass and thick butt and one pc.

I read that in a quote on here a while back. I know that I picked up a WRI blank for a friend from Tommy Wheeler about a month ago and Tommy said they were expecting a shipment of blank in the next few weeks. Other than that I dont know anything. I did email him about a blank we talked about over a week ago and.......Nothing. I dont guess he is to interested in selling any of those blanks if he did in fact get them. kooky.gif

View PostAm I wrong that Wheels is no longer at this time making blanks?? I heard he had problems with offshore mfg basicly screwing him in a nut shell!!

WRI blanks are neither manufactured offshore nor are parts/supplies sourced from offshore........amazing how incorrect information gets disseminated. You will not do better than a fusion magnum for power casting 8-12oz.

Rainshadow 1509, if you can find one.

You might want to do a search in the Delmarva forum. This topic has been discussed there before.

CJ

View PostWRI blanks are neither manufactured offshore nor are parts/supplies sourced from offshore........amazing how incorrect information gets disseminated. You will not do better than a fusion magnum for power casting 8-12oz.

Hey... I'm the biggest blank ***** going.. I have only swung a Wheeler once in a drive way.. And was told by the guy, who by the way knows Tommy Wheeler.... just like everyone else.. or was it he had a freind who knew a guy..headscratch.gif ... except me The blank ***** everyone knows this guy!! any how this guy told me for some reason this very thing... So many tales are told.. I should prolly write a book about all the different mfg who made blanks... a tells all headscratch.gif and end to the BS!! I know who told me and I'm not calling him on it But!!

So.. If it's not how it is... thencwm13.gif How is it? You left us hanging....!biggrin.gif