Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
adaboy078

Bass River

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

I have fished jetties and docks on this river for 5 years with my dad and we have caught 1,000s of scup ... but i'll be honest, after going out on a friends commercial boat a few years ago and hitting back to back 40+inch stripers, scup feel like sunfish. If anyone would be willing to share some knowledge about the technique used in this area (PM maybe) I would be eternally grateful. I am a Yarmouth local and have never hit anything but schoolies for years. I am starting to contemplate getting some scuba gear and searching the whole damn river one section at a time cwm40.gif

Thanks

the place is seriously hit or miss. I can honestly say I have never been skunked on any outing on the bass river but I have also never caught anything larger than say 32". I mostly avoid the place past memorial day cause it's so busy. I've done very well at the mouth in Sept. Oct. But mostly the place seems like a schoolie fest for me.

for me, its litterally a ghost town.

i can't buy a fish in that place. i've fished it numerous times over the last 3 years and have caught a total of 5 fish, nothing over 20".

hence the reason i tend to call it, bassless river.

The fish move around and hunker down when the water slows. When it starts moving again so do the fish. I have never caught anything bigger than 30' in there but have had 30+ fish days. I think that a boat is the best bet and searching is a must.

I have heard (not experienced that much larger fish are caught on eels at night in there. Also heard that Sharks have been taken as far up as High Bank road.

I too stop fishing it after June. That water can be HOT 80+ in August. That is not comfortable for large fish. I actually abandon the Sound entirely( - Bluefish blitzes and parts of Monamoy) till end of September.

Good Luck!

Two things:

Scup - I am not sure what the regulations are for keeping them for bait, but I would think live-lining scup somewhere is probably a pretty good bet for large bass. I livelined them on a charter a few years ago out near the vineyard, and we did well.

Bass River - Bring your freshwater baitcaster, small boat and a handful of creek chub poppers, crush the barbs on the trebble hooks and enjoy the schoolie action this time of year. I agree, after memorial day weekend, I have never caught any fish of size, and avoid it for better fishing holes.

If I lived in Yarmouth, I would spend my time fishing some of cape cod bay beaches on the other side rather than Bass River, and would highly consider the 30 minute drive west to the canal. Also, if I had to fish Bass river, I would fish the mouth of the river in hopes of getting into a good blues blitz during the day or fish their at night with some kind of sand eel imitation needle or something like that.

Just my two cents.

Thanks for the input guys. I'm gonna make sure to avoid the canal ... tomorrow morning. I'll be the guy that is way to big to be stepping out of an itty-bitty green ranger. I have some old led squid setups (2.5ozs) that I have been meaning to get rid of, so why not wrap them around some rocks, right? tongue.gif

In reagards to the Seagull Breachway the only problem I forsee is the jetskis and boat traffic. I use to work there and I know for a fact the guy who owns GoldCoast Rental will cut your line for fun if you are near the channel when his skis are coming through. I'll have to give it a try in the AM before they open sometime soon. Thanks again.

I fish Rhody but have come up to Yarmouth the last few years the week of Memorial day. I have hit the Bass river behind West Dennis Beach early am during that week and have found it unproductive with flyrod...Further up the river have caught small schoolies.. And by the way fished Chaham South Beach daylite during that same period and found a few bass with alot of seals.

Was on the Bass last night and took home a couple of keepers in the 34-36" range, just had the weed through the tons of 24-26"... Fished plugs out past the boat ramp... but honestly the flats on the north side have been much hotter lately.

The mouth of the river has always fished better from the dennis side a lot of 30-40 pounders have come out of that area,especially when you could use live herring.drool.gif

I've got a couple friend that use my poppers at the mouth of the river and have had 50+ fish nights there. Biggest they've told me about were mid 30 pound range.

Armand

I tossed a Gibbs Polaris Popper at the mouth of the river today, Yarmouth side. Thought I nailed a big boy, ended up being a 30" blue. Ended up catching 4 blues all good size, was a lot of fun, can't complain. So much for my $20 plug though, they took a chunk of wood out of it mad.gif Damn things are vicious. I traded all the blues to some foreign guys for fresh mackerel which I am going to try on the bay side tomorrow. Thanks for the help all.

Quick question for you guys, I have fished this area quite a bit with very little luck, except for the snappers you see in the pic below (caught at the sand spit). I will be down for a night or two this weekend, in fishing this area, what do you consider to be more important to finding fish at the mouth, time or tide?

Should i focus on the sun rise or set or the times of high tide? Would absolutely love to bring in some good sized blues this weekend.

Thanks,

Brendan

Yes, it makes a huge difference in that area and both sides yarmouth and dennis fish better at different stages and different spots all the way back to the sand spit. That being said you should still be able to catch some blues and schoolies most of the time.

View PostQuick question for you guys, I have fished this area quite a bit with very little luck, except for the snappers you see in the pic below (caught at the sand spit). I will be down for a night or two this weekend, in fishing this area, what do you consider to be more important to finding fish at the mouth, time or tide?

Should i focus on the sun rise or set or the times of high tide? Would absolutely love to bring in some good sized blues this weekend.

Thanks,

Brendan

That is a fish in your pic? I always thought it was a slug-o hahahacwm27.gif