Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Scott Charlton

tHeRe ArE nO sTrIpErS in MAiNE!

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

UGHGHGHGHGHGHGHGHHGHGHGHGHGHGHGHG!!!!

sorry, i'm testy and frustrated. I've lost some decent softwater jigs in the saco, about 300 yards from the dam, and what do I have to show for it? NOTHING, zilch! NaDA! Rien! Noodle! ZIPERANO!!! !!! IT's bEeN a LoNg WiNteR!!! ShOUld AnYoNe wISh tO show me how to FiSh, PLeAsE ConTacT mE!!!

-SpC

With your sense of patience I suggest you take up golf. Otherwise be prepared not to catch. When you do hook up all those bad memories go away during the fight. Be patient it will be worth it.wink.gif

The season has just barely started cwm13.gif . Get out there and enjoy every trip (fish or no fish). Put in your time, and the catches will come naturally wink.gif . Concentrate on proper presentation, reading the water, ambush points, etc, and you'll find yourself enjoying it more. No sense getting frustrated over something that's supposed to be fun. smile.gif

Scott, the floor of the river by the dam is loaded with crap to snag on. Fish it on the outgoing, and use a top water plug. If you feel as though you like to jig, reel quick.

If you can throw from the Saco side over to the Biddeford side. They'll hang close to that far shore in skinny water as the tide get's low.

Don't get frustrated, your too early. A couple of weeks still.

You seem fairly new to this game. I'll give you some very good advice. Nothing can replace time on the water.

Each season we get the chasing ghosts reports. Its too bad that others fail to offer up gas money.

First off we need warm water to get the fishing going up here. I usually get the fishing bug bad once the water gets to be consistently 50 degrees. In order for that to be achieved we need more sunlight than we been getting recently.

I typically monitor the National Data Bouy Centers website. Google it up. Pay close attention to buoy number 44007.

I find early spring to be an evening high tide game. I prefer the high to be around 4:00-9:00 p.m. I fish locales where the sunlight during the day gets the chance to heat up the exposed mud at low tide. Think grassy sod banks.

The Saco is an excellent choice but we seem to be about a week away. The weather we get this week will determine if we hook up sooner or later.

Keep at it and for gods sake relax. Fishing is supposed to be fun.

I went up in the marsh Friday afternoon/evening. It was a sunny day, tide was high about 4:30, and I stayed until about 7:30-8:00. I didn't catch anything either, but considering my fishing prowess, that doesn't mean they AREN'T there. One shore fisherman reported catching a few earlier in the day. Still, it was great to get out on the water, enjoy the evening, and watch the sunset over the marsh with nary a bug in the air.

FWIW, spoke to linesidersonthefly this morning and he was just getting around to looking over his spin gear wink.gif

In other words, it's pretty early.

I prescribe a libation to Dagon (the fishing god).

Bourbon is always goodbiggrin.gif

Friday, a kid I talked to at the Dam I visit regularly at this time of year hooked up two 24 inchers on live alewives. He had to go to Dover to get the herring. I was amazed - there were practically zero alewives in the pool at the time. But it does show the stripers are here, but they are spotty still. It's early, as the others say.

Thanks to everyone for enduring my tirade. I've had a really, rough year, I won't bore you with the details, but suffice to say, I am really looking forward to my "medication" arriving, and it sounds like many of you have found it.

The Saco is a great place, I can't wait to land my first striper from it. I've spent almost all my time on the mousam and the kennebunk river, and been very happy with the numbers.

A few years ago, I did Kayak at the mouth of the Saco, and I didn't have my fishing gear. Just out, having fun, enjoying the day. About 5 feet from my 'yak, the water exploded, and what I thought was a small shark lept into the sky, completely exposing itself. It must have hung there for a second or two, and that's when I noticed this "shark" had stripes on it. I couldn't believe my eyes. It must have been pushing 4 feet in length.

Ever since then, I've wanted to try fishing the Saco, and now I finally am, and even though I'm 0 for 3, it still feel wonderful trying something new.

View Postoh there here, all right. biggrin.gif