Sandy Hook Help

Rate this topic

peter3962

Hey guys, i want to go fishing from the shore at sandy hook during memorial day weekend. Im a beginner and still havent really surf fished yet so this will be my first serious time. I have some lures: plugs, dannies, some poppers, metals, and a few bucktail. Can you guys help me with what lures would work best and what size and colors to use. Also i want to fish bait with my 12' rod so what rigs should i use and what bait. And are there any GENERAL spots in sandy hook that are productive that you guys can tell me? Thanks

For a beginner I would bring with me metal lures and some small and medium size poppers. For bait, I would bring fresh bunker and some clams... use FF rig...

For the most productive spots in SH...you can try the bay side and if it does not work out move to the ocean side..Good luck..

you can park in any lot and find fish in most cases. generally there isnt any lot that is better than the others (although there are a few very productive holes scattered along the SH coast, but that would be too specific). i dont know how the bayside has been, but if its less crowded/less noisy next weekend, then maybe you should try there. id go with clams, ive been trying both bunker and clams and clams seem more productive. the bass seem to want only clams (at least out front where ive been fishing). if the blues are around youll be fine with the lures you have. metal from 1-3 ozs will be good for the blues. i want to go down to the hook next weekend, but im thinking its going to be way too crazy being its memorial day weekend.

make sure you bring a few wire leaders for the Boo fish so you dont lose your lures.

I would get down there early. If nice weather is forecast it will be a mob scene. The construction traffic will be a nightmare.

I cant get down there this weekend.

one of the places to check out is plum island. its hardly a secret. you can see it from the bridge. first parking lot. then hoof it across the street. follow trail to the water. check it out at low tide to see the sand bars.

Not sure about stripers there yet, but have been catching blues.

other thing to check out is the north lot. follow the trail. its about a half mile hump. go right or left. the rips, bug light are popular spots.

I am a relative newb also. we generally go to SH early weekends or evenings. I will pm you next time......

I'm new on ocean. Started last Wednesday from the bay with metal, found place without people and got 2 sea robin and 1 short striper - pictured them and sent home smile.gif

............................................ .........

SH is going to be a mob scene starting this weekend. Gunison beach is next to the nude beach if you're into that sort of thing. Bring a check or money order for $50 and get a night parking pass from the office to avoid the bathing crowds. The construction sucks. If you want to go south on 36 past the bridge you have to go all the way back over to Red Bank and make a u-turn.

I've been fishing mostly the back side lately and getting a lot of blues on the incoming with metals and poppers. If you're going to wade especially plum island go there at low tide and pay attention. It drops off steep close to shore and the current is very strong. I also saw sea robins feeding on the surface out back yesterday confused.gif .

I tried out front last week and caught a few bass on a Hopkins. I don't really fish with bait that often but clams out front on a hi-low with 4 oz of lead seems to be the ticket for bass. Blues will bite the bunker chunks. Yesterday was a skunkfest due to the strong n/nw winds but I have hopes for out front later this week providing the weather cooperates.

View PostSH is going to be a mob scene starting this weekend. Gunison beach is next to the nude beach if you're into that sort of thing. Bring a check or money order for $50 and get a night parking pass from the office to avoid the bathing crowds. The construction sucks. If you want to go south on 36 past the bridge you have to go all the way back over to Red Bank and make a u-turn.

The traffic patterns are crazy with the bridge construction going on and if the weather is nice this weekend the traffic will be bad. Take advantage of the new hours in the park without needing a night pass, 5am-10pm. Get in early and stay late. I don't think you have to go all the way to Red Bank to turn around for Rt 36 south cwm31.gif , I hope you meant Highlands.

If you use eclairs in your example, he will get it right away. MikeMc