Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CaseyGhee

Need some rod advice/info

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

Hi, Have to cut back from using my GSB 132s,, like the looks of the Lami "Ron Arra" rod XRA 1203-2. Any comments good or bad would be most helpful and appreciated. Thanks for the help, Casey Ghee

That ron arra is a beautiful casting machine.

the only distadvantage or con about the rod is the lack of technology. The rings and guide quality is of the 90's... This lead me to look diligently at the Shimano tiralejo blanks. They are as light and reactive and the technology in the grip, handle, and guides (LC version) is 19 years newer. The only real difference between the two for me was that the tiralejo is a faster action rod compared to the lami which is more parabolic. In my research I decided to go with the shimano because I like to throw plugs on the beach and not dead weight clam. With the ladder, I'd go with the ron arra but if you throw 3oz dannys and such, go with the tiralejo. Hope this helped...

beers.gifcwm33.gif

Hi, Thanks for your input!! I plan to use the rod coupled w/an Amb 6500 C (tweaked by Jerry Foran) on the West Coast. Most of the guys out there use steelhead rods. They seem to mostly catch fish like our porgy (scup), w/some halibut (our fluke) thrown in, occaisionally up to 20#, but most are up to the 4-5# range (22"-24"). What I would like to do is to be able to reach out beyond the outside break w/ an ounce or so lead head and perhaps a fish fillet and spinner. I think the 10' stick would be handy for keeping the line above the waves. Their surf is a little higher than ours at times. Believe me, it is a different world out there. Very little night fishing, and casting between surfers and bathers in the day time. Anyway, I do appreciate any input you can help we with. I have not had any experience w/the "light" 10-11' surf rods. Thanks again for your insights. Casey