Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
calfarmli

BO Embraces President Bush Policy Again

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

limit the use of hearsay testimony

While I understand that you run into issues when people turn in their innocent neighbors for cash rewards... in the mostly-verbal, no papertrail culture of terrorists... Obama wants us to rely solely on pictures of the guys shooting at US soldiers?

Similarly,

Mr Obama is asking US Congress to expand the rights of defendants to ban evidence gained from torture or cruel treatment,

OK, I agree with evidence from Torture being inadmissible. Hell, I don't think it's torture, but I'd say that waterboarding is stronger-than-average duress for interrogation, so maybe I'd limit that as well.

But "cruel treatment"? That's such a vague term as to be useless in any sort of legislative proceeding, and is more likely to be interpreted broadly as the years go by than narrowly.

i have no objection to military tribunals per se

POWs, detainees, illegal enemy combatants- whatever you choose to call (or not call) these folks, they have no legitimate claim to the full measure of American jurisprudence

the system was fine by me, until bush and company turned them into kangaroo courts

even the chief prosecutor at Gitmo resigned in disgust

hopefully the procedure has now regained some credibility

pretty sure that any search of my posts advocated them getting at least a shot to plead their case...

no matter where and how it happened.

whatever you wish to call the detainees,

whatever you wish to call their legal proceedings,

it would be nice to give them a chance to make the case that they don't belong there.