Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mml4

VS Main Seal/ Bearing/Pinion Removal Part3

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

We now have the assembly removed (see thread # 1) and mounted in a stabilizing fixture (see thread # 2). Getting something to grip the pinion gear without damaging the teeth is to say the least problematic. My visit to Rivers End allowed me to view the very expensive custom tooling that the factory has to perform this task. The heart of their pinion tool is a cylinder of HDPE (High Density Polyethylene ). Having had the opportunity to see how the "Big Boys" do it I set about to "roll" my own.

My tool consists of a section of 2.5" diameter HDPE mated to a Toyota cup style oil filter wrench. The wrench serves only to provide a hex fitting on the top to give you a mechanical advantage when spinning off the pinion. The HDPE is drilled slightly smaller than the widest portion of the pinion so when it is placed over the pinion it grabs the teeth. The HDPE is soft enough not to deform the teeth and very little pressure is needed to hold it while you turn the tool with a wrench. You only have to move it about a 1/16" and then you can remove the pinion by hand. I reinstall the pinion using the tool but only hand pressure.

View PostNice job.Do you have a bearing puller or press for the side cover bearings ?

Yes I have both pullers and "installers" for the side covers. The 200 series and 300 take the same size and the 100 series is smaller. The side cover provides a unique problem in that it is not a constant diameter bore.There are shoulders within the bore that the bearings seat against so you just can't press them out in the same direction. The radial bearing and the anti reverse bearing come out to the inside of the cover and the needle bearing comes out to the outside. In addition you can't sit the cover on the threads when pressing out the bearings or you will destroy it.

In the 100 series the radial bearing just falls out as it is not a press fit. The 200 series and the 300 have the radial pressed in. The geometry of the design dictates that the bearings must be pulled by the inner race. This is not the most desirable situation as you would rather put pressure against the outer race so as not to risk "brinelling" the bearing. Unfortunately not possible.

Just a word of caution about removing bearings by using a hammer and appropriate diameter socket or tool handle. The outer races of the bearings are steel and the bores they occupy in the VS are aluminum. If you don't apply even pressure and the bearing travels at an angle the steel edge of the bearing will raise a lip in the aluminum.This goes for the spool,reel body or side cover. This raised lip has the potential to result in bearing mis-alignment when re installing the bearings. It is money well spent to purchase an arbor press to avoid problems if you want to do this kind of work. I bought a 1 ton press( Chinese import) on Ebay for $46 delivered.It is more than sufficient and I actually find it useful for a wide range of things.

I don't have a side cover at this time that needs rebuilding hence the lack of photos .If one becomes available I'll do a similar post as with the pinion.

Marc

View Postwow never thought of that..i own 2 hdpe pucks like that from makeing custom body lifts i almost wanna go take my vs apart again haha

Actually I didn't think of it either. It's just an inexpensive immitation of the rig at the factory authorized service center at River's End Tackle in Conn. Had Pat ,"Q", and Craig Cantelmo not been so generous in letting me and others tour the service facility during their open house I would never have come up with this either.

If you are going to use some form of this make sure the HDPE is of the soft variety. I first ordered some NYLON 101 and sent it back because it was obviously too hard. It would have ruined the pinion for sure.

Marc

i guessing the stuff i have its right..HDPE is naturally white..and i can shave wit with a knife if need be... hdpe is amazing stuff i have friends who make some very strong skid plates out of it...for there 4x4's and it ways 10 lbs..while my steel ones way 200lbs lol