Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Steve in Mass

Some Like It Hot.....

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Wednesday night I made Surf Hunter's Coconut Thai Shrimp (with some of my own modifications). Have made this 3-4 times now, so it is becoming routine.

However, for some reason............not sure if I got too heavy handed (don't think so, thought I used the same amount as usual), or if the new can of Maesri Red Curry Paste just happened to be extra potent, but..........

Served it up, sat down to eat, and eek.gif....fire abounded. By halfway thru the meal, what little hair I have on my bald head was so soaked from sweat that it looked like I had just taken a shower. While it was enjoyable and I like heat, I think it was just a tad overboard, as it drowned out any flavor of the shrimp and coconut............

View PostWednesday night I made Surf Hunter's Coconut Thai Shrimp (with some of my own modifications). Have made this 3-4 times now, so it is becoming routine.

However, for some reason............not sure if I got too heavy handed (don't think so, thought I used the same amount as usual), or if the new can of Maesri Red Curry Paste just happened to be extra potent, but..........

Served it up, sat down to eat, and eek.gif....fire abounded. By halfway thru the meal, what little hair I have on my bald head was so soaked from sweat that it looked like I had just taken a shower. While it was enjoyable and I like heat, I think it was just a tad overboard, as it drowned out any flavor of the shrimp and coconut............

Well, how about a recipe, wife and I LOVE coconut shrimp. The best I ever had is at the Cabby Shack in Plymouth, spectacular! Steve, I think you would really like that place, great location - Town Wharf in Plymouth, food is excellent, service is good to excellent depending on the day, and it has outside decks overlooking Plymouth Harbor. icon14.gificon14.gif

John, the recipe is in the recipe forum......look under "Seafood - Shrimp"

Only changes I made from what is in there are that I add some snow peas, sometimes some Bok Choy, and I use the Maesri Red Curry Paste (which you can get at any of the Asian markets in town) instead of what SH listed. I have also made it adding some mussels and squid with the shrimp.

Oh, and get the Goya coconut milk.....it is the cheapest, and what makes that even better is that it doesn't have the guar gum in it like most other brands do. smile.gif

Oops, one other change I made (and this is method verses ingredients). Something I saw on America's Test Kitchen.

To cook the shrimp, I peel it and lay it out on paper towels to dry. When it is time to cook, I sprinkle the top side with a scant amount of sugar. Get the pan hot with oil, and then put the shrimp in the pan with the sugar coated side down. They cook for less than a minute.....by the time I get the last ones in, the first come out. Only one side of the shrimp will be cooked.

They get set aside for a couple minutes while I cook the other stuff in the same pan. The last 30-60 seconds, the shrimp go back in.

The sugar helps carmelize the shrimp without over cooking them. And the "remove and add back" also keeps them from getting over-cooked. smile.gif

Steve,

If you can find Chaokoh brand, this is what you want. It is the stuff the Thai chefs use, and it is cheap cheap, and delicious. Also, it contains, coconut milkwink.gif