Penn 700 Restoration question

MrTeek

Hello to everyone.

So I'm in the process of restoring/drilling a penn 700 and I have it drilled and stripped down to the bare metal. I'm up to the painting stage yet I'm starting a new job and moving around soon...so I probably won't have time to prime paint and bake the reel.

So now my question....Can I get away with just having it bare metal? I know that some parts on the 700 are stainless steel, and rust can be an issue. Any recommendations for polish, epoxy, clear coats to put over the bare metal so I can avoid the whole painting/baking process? I've heard of mothers car wax, D2T, etc.

What do you think?headscratch.gif

i would prime the bear metal with a good gray metal primes, than a coat of hunter green to match the original colour, and finally an over coat of clear Alumin-hyde II semi gloss to increase the wear ability of the finish. The Stainless steel parts leave uncoated, just wipe them down after useing the reel

View PostHey Brian, thanks for the reply. So you leave absolutely bare? No polish, wax, epoxy, anything?

Im not fishing it at the moment. Its just bare metal right now. I would just spray some WD-40 on it before heading out and rinse well when you get home if you are planning on using it before painting. You are correct. I have no protective coating on it right now. The metal they cast the reel in doesnt rust.

I spent most of my money on beer, women and fishing gear.... the rest I just wasted