Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CCSteveL

Anybody getting agressive hits? mine are all light..

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Maybe its the pattern I use, chartreuse with blaze orange on top, (weird I know but of all Ive tried this year its the only one producing), anyway, all the hits I have had have been real light, no aggressive takes except for one BIG boy that engulfed the fly and snapped me off. Even the fish Ive caught would just suddenly be dead weight against my strip in. Im thinking maybe its just the pattern looks like a worm and is being sipped in like in a worm hatch??

Most of mine have been light also. Not running hard after the hook set. Took a few real streakers...long and lean after their trip up north.

At PI yesterday, I got several very aggressive strikes, yielding 3 bass, and probably 8 short strikes. This was in about 45 minutes, after I'd changed locations and found myself on a pod of fish. Those landed were 22-26", the others seemed to be of the same size.

The water still isnt up to the aggressive point yet. Up the rivers were it was reading 58-61 I had several pissed off type strikes the other day. In my local harbor it was hard to even get the mto strike at all with several follows up to my feet and then they turned and swam away. Strange start this year but I think its gonna get good real soon!smile.gif

I've been throwing large herring patterns in the canal all week. During the fast water stage of the tide, the hits are of the jolting, crushing variety. But as the tide slows, the hits become much more subtle, often nothing more than a slight bump, in spite of the fact that many of these fish are 30" and above.

You really need to set up fast when that happens.