Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
beachlessbeachbum

10 wt fly combo

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Hello everybody,

I'm new to California and this website as well. I was searching through the net and found this website, pretty cool.

I gotta question. I while ago I purchased a 10wt rod and reel. I guess I planned to go saltwater fishing and was told that saltwater equals huge fish...long story short I lived in Arizona and moved to SoCal, no big fish here. I really like this rig so I wonder, what can I use this combo for here in California?

Thanks for advance for your help.

I know there is a striped bass fishery on the "delta".

There has to be a regional site you can inquire on.

I wish the huge fish story was correct.

Herb

You can fish smaller fish too. When necessary use longer leader to not spook fish with usually heavier line. Or even better is to use polyleader which lenghtens front taper and produces delicate presentation.

But fighting lively fish is more challenging with heavy rod as it does not bend so easy and because it is heavier it does not react fast and protect thin leader and keep fish hooked as well as lighter rod does.

A 10 weight is a good weight for Chinook salmon also if you have a chance to do any of that in the PNW in OR or northern CA rivers like the Sac, Trinity, Klamath etc, as well as SW fishing off the coast for big stuff, and those stripers in the Delta that HL mentioned.

I don't think you have musky out there, but a 10 is a good weight for that too-- (there are still some pike in places like Lake Davis that CA F&W is trying to remove because they eat too many trout). You might want to see if there are some other lakes in CA that have them. A shop near LA like Bob Marriots would be a good resource for you to google. They have fishing clinics etc. and are pretty wired in to the opportunities for fishing near you.

And a 10 is a great weight for Baja if you take trips down there for roosters, mahi, yellow tail tuna etc. and if you take trips to other places like the Keys etc.

So with the exception of pike/musky and chinook, a 10 is a pretty big stick for FW. But a great weight for SW fish 12-100 lbs anywhere you can find them.

mark

You should be able to find stuff to chase with it.

Do a search on Gary Bulla. I'm sure those guys can direct you to local areas for that 10wt of yours. You might find some local club, or shop sponsored offshore trips.

Good luck!

briansII

Locate Dan Blanton's website, it's the premier website I know for warm water SW fishing. Find a boat or a buddy who has one, get a couple of heavy sinking lines, and go chase halibut and groundfish. Find a bigger boat and go offshore for albacore.

Oh, yeah - as a new guy, you have to post a joke. Otherwise you will experience chronic knot failure. TimS wrote the software that causes this specifically for this Forum, and this Forum only.

If you're in southern California, the 10 wt will be major overkill for beach fishing. I lived there for years, and a 6 was my go to rod size - surf perch, corbina, croakers, and halibut are your main targets. For offshore stuff, the 10 might find some use.

For beach fishing in soCal, try Gary Bulla's Board or fliflicker. Dan Blanton's is great, but not quite so southern California centered.