Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fishoholic

Inline VS Offset Circle Hooks

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

I always use offset circles but noticed I bought 3 packs of inline the other day. I'm pretty sure the offset is better but I wonder by how much? Anyone else prefer one to the other?

Thanks

Circle Hooks, Off-set, In-line (J-Hooks) or any other marketing gimmick hook manufacturers desire to throw at us. If you would like to read some scientific literature check out the hook mortality rates of studies done comparing "inline" (J-Hooks) to circle.

I know you posted for off-set and never mentioned circel, but I believe in science and feel that a few of the publications printed in this symposium are well worth the time to read. Besides, it costs less than two pieces of wood, sometimes one, that are bought, sold, and traded on SOL.

And maybe, if someone really pays attention, this book can be bought for less that $20.00 once per year.

Think it's a waste of money? Take 10 minutes and read through the publications. Striped Bass appears more than once buddy.

: :Mods- These links all go to the same place - The American Fisheries Society (AFS) bookstore for a book titled " Catch and Release in Marine Recreational Fisheries".

You should try to use in-line if you can, offset circle hooks, which are slightly offset along the lateral line of the hook, (left or right), this allows the point to be exposed, due to the "off set" which is prone to snag inside the fish, defeating the purpose of circle hooks in the first place, which is to hook the fish in the corner of the mouth.

I do not usually chuck bait except for the eeling adventures I take every now and then. When I throw eels I like to use the offset hooks. I would tend to agree with another poster that the idea of the true circle hook is lost when it is offset. The idea is to avoid the gut hook. I have not gut hooked a fish so I am planning on sticking to what i already do. If I gut hook a fish and hurt her then i will think about changing my tune.

circle hooks are designed to self-set and hold, not hook in the corner of the mouth - though that is where inline circles often end up. most fishermen didn't care about mortality of fish in the past. it was all about food on the table or income. bottom-fishermen & commercial fishermen in the Pacific have been using offset circle hooks for over 50 years because of the hookup rate. you can't set a hook when the bait is over a hundred fathoms down.

it all depends on what your goals are. if you want better hookup rate, go with offset circle. if want a better chance of a hookup in the corner of the mouth, go inline circle. either way, both are designed to self set.

The Gulf fisheries that require the use of circle hooks (ie, Grouper) mandate that the hooks be in-line. So much so that you have to be careful the ones coming out of the package are not the least bit offset of they got you. Since a vast majority of the critters we were catching needed to be released, we also crimped the barbs. Can't say we lost anything due to crimped barbs on the circle hook and a quick twist with a hook-out and the fish was on its way.

OFF set hooks , non stainless ,Required now in FL waters when reef fishing with cut or live bait for grouper//red snapper, in state waters it must be an Inline, In Fed waters the way i read new regs it can be either, Fish wildlife and Marine Guru people said this is way to go so thats the way we are going

View PostOFF set hooks , non stainless ,Required now in FL waters when reef fishing with cut or live bait for grouper//red snapper, in state waters it must be an Inline, In Fed waters the way i read new regs it can be either, Fish wildlife and Marine Guru people said this is way to go so thats the way we are going

Careful Al, we were fishing with Fla. F&L boys, and they told us NON Offset and were evne showing us how you need to check the ones labeled non-offset as they are sometimes off just a bit!

View PostCareful Al, we were fishing with Fla. F&L boys, and they told us NON Offset and were evne showing us how you need to check the ones labeled non-offset as they are sometimes off just a bit!

In my post i stated in State waters it must be an In Line Circle Hook , When Reef Fishing for grouper/red snapper with cut or live bait, in Federal waters it can be an Offset Circle Hook ,this is as info (New Regs) sent to me by E mail Florida Fish Wildlife Office in Panama City. I agree one must check hooks as I have quite a few that are not in line as packaging stated.

The enforcment of this rule I am told is where you are at when stopped to be checked in federal waters or state waters as to which rule for hooks and limit applies. One red grouper federal waters /// 2 red grouper state waters //where were both caught at ???

Right now it is confusing at best to most . I do know it is a Healthy FINE for being Wrong $$$ Al

View PostIn my post i stated in State waters it must be an In Line Circle Hook , When Reef Fishing for grouper/red snapper with cut or live bait, in Federal waters it can be an Offset Circle Hook ,this is as info (New Regs) sent to me by E mail Florida Fish Wildlife Office in Panama City. I agree one must check hooks as I have quite a few that are not in line as packaging stated.

The enforcment of this rule I am told is where you are at when stopped to be checked in federal waters or state waters as to which rule for hooks and limit applies. One red grouper federal waters /// 2 red grouper state waters //where were both caught at ???

Right now it is confusing at best to most . I do know it is a Healthy FINE for being Wrong $$$ Al

That's pretty ridiculous to have such a slight difference result in a big fine. It really makes me think there is more to it. The feds should be happy you are using circles period..offset or not. Seems like they are splitting hairs.. Hopefully for conservation and not monetary gains. cwm15.gif

A offset is really not a circle hook. As stated above it defeats the purpose.Search" Owen Lupton Rig".Mr. Lupton has done a lot of reasearch Trial and error style.