Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bentrod704

Crossing Wakes

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

What is the best way to cross large boat wakes. Head on, quartered, should I power though or drift(so many options)?

I'm running a 17'Sailfish CC with a modified V.

Thanks for any help.

J

depends very much on the size of the wake. I have an 18' cc, and if I were crossing yours, i would stay at speed(usually 7/8 throttle or more) and would cross ALMOST parallel to it, as it would have little effect.

If I were crossing a 25' CC with twin 150's, I would probably slow down a bit, but remain on plain, and hit them HEAD-ON.

If I were crossing a 50' viking wake I would slow to a crawl, and take it on at 1/4.

Whatever you do just slow down before the wake gets to you. you dont wanna slow down as the wake hits you, It'll hit you like a ton of bricks! I cross them almost head on but slightly crossed. I'd rather speed up than slow down though, unless I had enough time.

View PostWhatever you do just slow down before the wake gets to you. you dont wanna slow down as the wake hits you, It'll hit you like a ton of bricks!

This is great advice. Obviously, you have made this mistake? wink.gif

sometimes you can't avoid it. Out one night, about 3 weeks ago. Went out at 5, but returned about 8:00, just getting dark. there were like a TOTAL of like 3 boats out that night, all relatively small. Was flying down the bay, which was like glass, and out of NOWHERE, hit a wake that was big, like off a 50' searay or something. Clear night, could probably see 10 miles, COULDN'T FIND A SINGLE green, red, or white light. WHERE'd that come from?

You could always take the more adventurous approach.

Hit the first and goose it to see how many you can jump at one time.

I've seen that often enough too. wink.gif

View Postsometimes you can't avoid it. Out one night, about 3 weeks ago. Went out at 5, but returned about 8:00, just getting dark. there were like a TOTAL of like 3 boats out that night, all relatively small. Was flying down the bay, which was like glass, and out of NOWHERE, hit a wake that was big, like off a 50' searay or something. Clear night, could probably see 10 miles, COULDN'T FIND A SINGLE green, red, or white light. WHERE'd that come from?

Don't worry...That was just the head wake from my 60 on his way up here biggrin.gif

View PostHow NOT to cross a wake...

" target="_blank">

That is CRAZY! What an IDIOT!! I can't believe he didn't break his neck and back. WOW

For oncoming small to medium wakes I will slow up a little but still try to stay on a plane and go pretty much head on. For large wakes I slow up a lot and take the on the port or stbd bow.. No matter how you hit them make sure you warn your passengers to hang on. smile.gif

View PostObviously going too fast when he had the control problems and chine walking in the chop!

I was thinking the same thing. I am wondering if this was a freak accident or if he just was not an experienced bass boat driver. Was he out for a test drive in a new rig? The chine walking led me to believe he was not experienced. That is precisely why I wear my PFD and kill switch on my bass boat.

View PostI was thinking the same thing. I am wondering if this was a freak accident or if he just was not an experienced bass boat driver. Was he out for a test drive in a new rig? The chine walking led me to believe he was not experienced. That is precisely why I wear my PFD and kill switch on my bass boat.

I believe it's called "show boating" literally and figuratively. It could have cost him his life. There are so many variables that could have happened and didn't! I'm pretty amazed he didn't get whacked by the screw. I'll say it till I'm blue in the face...Speed kills..

My boat makes a large wake..when I'm in the bay I try to keep it on plane so the wake isnt as large ..I always watch small boats as I pass them to make sure they dont flip or swamp...

The best way for a small boat when passing a larger boat in oppsite direction is to take it as close to the stern of the larger boat as you can..The closer waves are the better your boat will handle them..When they get a chance to spread is when your more likely to pound & or swamp...........

Take is slow & if ther are other boats in his wake just ride the wake out as slow as you need to & than get into the prop wash.........

if you want to get behind a large boat take the wake slow & on beam & get into his prop wash..Get the boat steady before you exit the other side of the wake...

Last take a safe boating class.......