Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chigger

Which blank is more durable/stronger? gsb1201L or xra1321-2?

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

I am looking for guys who have used both. Which of these rods can take more pulling abuse?

I have the 1321-2 and might go for te 1201L if it suites my bucktailing needs beter. ie more comfortable and a little more powerful.

Thanks.

Where does abuse come into play ? No rod will take abuse. Both of those rods will handle most of the fish in our area under most conditions. I would use a rod that felt the best to me with whatever reel I decided to use at the time. No one can answer that question but you.

Not sure what you refer to as "pulling abuse". If it is just the stress on the rod when fighting a fish, either will serve the purpose. I have a 1321 - 1 and it serves just fine.

If the "pulling abuse" you refer to is the stress involved with casting or jigging then more then 3 oz. is about the limit for the 1321 and the 1322 would be a better choice.

Durable and graphite are an oxymoron...

You want durable? Go to a good old fashioned glass blank like an SB1213M

GSB 120 1L is probably the most popular rod out there. It must be good. I have a friend that uses one at full length and anopther one with a couple inches off each end. He covers all the Jersey fishing with those two only!

View PostDurable and graphite are an oxymoron...

The only rod I ever broke was a honey glass Lami wink.gif

Ask some people what happened to the old brown Fenglass blanks, when you had it built without a seat and you over tightened that clamp just a wee bit too much cwm31.gif

View PostI am looking for guys who have used both. Which of these rods can take more pulling abuse?

I have the 1321-2 and might go for te 1201L if it suites my bucktailing needs beter. ie more comfortable and a little more powerful.

Thanks.

I think what you mean is which rod has more power or lifting ability. If you do mean abuse... none of the above can!!

Yes. I do mean lifting ability. Thank you for reading into my question. If I wrote that I'd get 20 guys coming on and saying YOU SHOULDN'T BE LIFTING FISH WITH EITHER OF THESE RODS! I know I have to choose my words carefully .

Thanks again to all who replied and those yet to reply.

View PostThe only rod I ever broke was a honey glass Lami wink.gif

Ask some people what happened to the old brown Fenglass blanks, when you had it built without a seat and you over tightened that clamp just a wee bit too much cwm31.gif

I've broken several graphite blanks and not once could I determine the cause.

I've broken one Honey Lami and that was in the rear window of my Grand Wagoneer.

I would be willing to bet I can find at a 10:1 ratio instances of graphite to glass broken blanks.

I have two Lami's that are over 20 years old,have been stepped on, rolled upin windows, smashed against the ground, floor and deck of boat and are still going strong. They look like hell (ask Stewie) but are as strong today as the day I got them.

Sure,glass rods can fail but they are not a fraction as prone to breaking as graphite.

Not to start a Pissing match about what is stronger and or better but, Glass isn't stronger then graphite. Glass is more forgiving then graphite. The lower the modulus the material is more forgiving it is. It doesn't mean that it's stonger. High modulus rods get a bad name for breakage due to the thin nature of the blank that is more prone to damage (You insert the type of damage here). There are so many different ways to build a blank we could go on and on..

Chigger, if you are stuck on Lamiglas The GSB 120L would be my choice. Maybe even with an inch or two off the tip. You didn't say size of bucktails. I will assume 3/4 to 3oz ? Really a 108 1M would be enough!

View PostDurable and graphite are an oxymoron...

How are people constantly breaking graphite rods? I have several JKF's that are pushing 15yrs. A bunch of various others as well. Used them on jetties, caught a ton of fish with them. Same goes for my Dad and a bunch of friends too. Between all of us I would there is close to a 100 years of cumulative fishing experience with graphite rods and I can't think of two or three that have actually broke while fishing.