Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Alejandro_1975

Jig for using circular saw as a table saw

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

I need to cut several 2" strips out of 1" thick wood but I don't have a table saw.

I've seen that a circular saw could be mounted under a table. I would need a foot switch and also build a fence which should be perfectly aligned with the saw.

Have anyone done this? Any suggestions? Will the dust damage the saw if it's working upside down?

Thanks!

Alex.

I've never seen that kind of set-up. Kinda iffy if ya ask me.

Would you not be better off with a rip guide? Whole lot cheaper and easier to use.

Not to mention safer.

if you've got the skill saw, just useit the way it was meant to be used instead of trying to turn it upside down. once you get skinny on the stock, lay it on top of something soft (styrofoam) or layered cardboard and adjust the blade to barely cut through the wood. then make your last cuts.

I actually had one of those things back in the 80's, can't remember the name. But it was kinda like a B&D workmate, and you attached the shoe of the circular saw with thumbscrews from the bottom with clamps, like you would a sink.

It was sold at one of the old home improvement stores that are now gone. Needless to say it didn't work too well. Ironically I saw one on ebay maybe 2 years back.

Anyway don't try it, just use an edge guide or rip fence as Ben said. And small table saws are cheap now.

Edit: found the little devil was a Hirsh Saw table hope this link is okay Ben

For everything you're talking about doing, you can pick up a cheap table saw either remanufactured or from a cheapy place like Harbor Freight. Hell, I think Sears even sells one now for under $100.

you can always have a guy at the local yard rip them for ya. My lumber yard barely charges me anything. Then just use your trim saw for the basic cuts.

I didn't know it would be so risky, I thought that it would be like making a router table.

Anyway, I've found a yard that'll rip them for me. wink.gif

Thank you all for your comments,

Alex.

View PostI need to cut several 2" strips out of 1" thick wood but I don't have a table saw.

I've seen that a circular saw could be mounted under a table. I would need a foot switch and also build a fence which should be perfectly aligned with the saw.

Have anyone done this? Any suggestions? Will the dust damage the saw if it's working upside down?

Thanks!

Alex.

Bad Idea...............

What I always do is use a good ripping blade mark

the 2 " and clamp the wood good so it won't move sometimes I screw it to the table then line up the blade to the pencil line and let your left thumb ride the edge of the wood keeping it firm It cuts a pretty straight line after some practice....