Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jpon2

Fishing gloves recommendations

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

I agree. Aquaskinz. I have the gloves that I have to use when using braid and fireline. They have a kevlar trigger finger so the braid doesn't cut through the glove.

View PostI agree. Aquaskinz. I have the gloves that I have to use when using braid and fireline. They have a kevlar trigger finger so the braid doesn't cut through the glove.

You know what, I'm going to qualify my post a bit.

On cold, cold nights, the aquaskinz are better thank nothing, but do not keep you warm. There are warmer gloves out there. I'd say up to the end of October, beginning of November, however, you're fine. I wear mine up to dec. when I call quits, but towards the end my fingers do get a bit cold.

If you're wearing a top without a latex gasket, the aquaskinz glove will transfer the water through the neo in the jacket's wrist and into whatever you're wearing. If you wear a dry top with a latex gasket and put the gloves over it, you should be fine.

For function, I can't tie knots with them on, as you may be able to with thinner gloves, but those thinner gloves sacrafice a lot of other things. I can, however, change plugs with a snap on the end. So when I have to retie leaders I take them off, but for general fishing I'm fine. Overall though, they are comfortable and allow you to do most fishing tasks.

Finally, the finger. I don't log as many hours on the beach as some of the guys here, but I do more than most. the pair of AS gloves I picked up last may are still in service. I just bought a second pair, for I feel that sometime this season they will probably give up, and I don't want to be unprepared. But, fishing exclusively braid and fireline, the kevlar reinforced finger tip has held up better than I hoped. No other glove on the market, except maybe kevlar fillet gloves, can say that. My finger is intact. I went through many pairs of other gloves before coming across these, and the scars on my index finger tell the stories, as do many pairs of gloves missing the tip of the index finger.

These gloves are not the best for everything. Nothing is. But if you are fishing braid you should look at nothing else. In overall performance, there are none better. Kudos to Kadir for making a great glove.

Now if only he would come out with a dry version.....

View Post

Now if only he would come out with a dry version.....

Talked to Kadir about this at the end of last season, his suggestion was to wear a latex doctors glove underneath. I laughed at first, but it does help, a lot!

Im surprised you just dont throw some lates on there medic smile.gif I gotta admit, with my truck on the beach i tend to dig into my EMS bag and grab the latex gloves when i cut up bunker smile.gif

x4 for me on the aquaskinz, or is that x5.

They are great. When they get wet, they hold the water in though, so in the winter hands get a bit nippy, otherwise no probs here. Im able to tie knots (granted not as quickly) with them on though. And they wernt that much money.

polar fleece glove with finger cutout (or not)

my hands get colder with neoprene on them . I'll use neoprene when its not too cold, they 're OK, you can dunk your hands, they're a pain to take on and off...

neoprene is supposed to get wet and warm with body heat.only issues your hands done give off to much heat..with that said..spring ill use AS gloves but in november/december i use 5mm henderson gold core gloves TOASTY!

toyota is exactly right ,if your hand are getting cold period ,they will not warm the water in your neo gloves. I personally like wool gloves with the thumb ,index and middle fingers cut off. they are warm even when wet

Ehh i kinda like gloves... i dont hafta be as careful with lures in my bag... without the gloves and id be hooking myself constantly. main reason i wear the gloves, besides the braided line protection, is hook protection

View PostHas anyone tried the AS finger shield? looks interesting.

picked one up - it's ok. Not to bulky or uncomfortable and it's nice with braid

Want to give it a full seasone before I decide how good / useful it is

Up to now it's been fine - been out 4 or 5 times with it.