Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
shoopie

dog life jacket?

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

anyone used them? would you reccomend a certain brand/model. we recently acquired a miniature dachsund and i really want to take him fishin w/ me this summer but i really dont want to loose him, he will jump from anywhere if he wants to (he tried to jump out of the window of my tahoe the otherday). any help would be great

Daughter uses them on her Siberian Huskies. Swears by them and wouldn't let her dogs go in the water without them.

Me, I have a lab. She'll only sink when she's diving for things.

Found out on the Quonny side of Charlsetown's breachway last year that swimming is not an issue for the Lab!. And it was rough out there when she went for the ducks. kooky.gif

Same dog that smashed the windshield on the Jeep when a seagull landed on the hood.

Daughter likes the ones from Cabella's. (Don't know why. Not like she's actually wearing it.)

Any of the jackets are fine, my dog is great swimmer, can't keep him out of the water, golden retriever, the trouble is 50 degree water & 8 knots of current in the river in , and sometimes more. I wouldn't want to have the dog panic.

But really weight the dog and strap it on him- and hopes he will tolerate it.

I think I got mine at LL Bean, an XL for 30 bucks.

Dogs learn quick, my dog jumped once to go after some ducks when I wasn't looking, she never did it again after seeing that I just kept going.

i tell my wife that the dogs do not belong on a fishing boat.... after i had one to the vet for a eating treble hook...(man what a fight smile.gif better than any striper)of course it had to be a terble hook .... be careful of hooks, them and dogs do not mix well

Hold on there mister....First things first. Life jackets are an aid to survival in emergencies, not a countermeasure to stupidity.

Address the dog's behavior before you take it fishing. If the dog will jump it will likely want to play with anything that is as rambunctious as him.

Take your pal to a petsmart or the like and try a few on for size and see how the dog reacts to them - go for quality as always - a cheap one will last a season but will lkely dry rot, fade, or mildew more thatn a quality item. Obviously, it's not something that you want to fail when needed the most.

Good luck - I've got an awesome fishing pal too (jack russell) and he learned without having to leave him in my wake.

Dachunds are scarry-smart dogs - you should have little trouble training it.