Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Wildcard777

Moon

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

In just about every article regarding the moon, it's always discouraged to fish a FULL moon. The idea being that the bright moon makes stripers spooky. With that said, does the impact of a full moon become negligible during an overcast or foggy sky? I would think so, but what about you?

Most Captains swear that 3 days BEFORE, or 3 days AFTER the moon is the best tide. The logic is that the current is a bit TOO strong exactly on the moon.

Yes, the brightness of a full moon hurts the bite in the surf.

The NEW moon (dark) is MUCH better! (much!)

But you are correct, cloud cover can make the Full Moon period just as productive as the dark of the New moon.

Just to create some controversy, remember that the short-lived record held by Captain Bob Rochetta (Orient) was caught during a LUNAR ECLIPSE! That's right, it was a Full moon, and the Earth's shadow created darkness! This was the second-largest Striped Bass ever caught on rod and reel!

That being said, I maintain that the very best time to go fishing is WHEN YOU CAN!

AMMO

My log data says that this would be a good topic for Mythbusters.

Best time for me has been a New moon with Full being a close second. I believe it is because of the tide effect and not the brightness. After all, these fish see more full moons than we do. Why would they be spooked? kooky.gif

View PostMy log data says that this would be a good topic for Mythbusters.

Best time for me has been a New moon with Full being a close second. I believe it is because of the tide effect and not the brightness. After all, these fish see more full moons than we do. Why would they be spooked? kooky.gif

I have always loved fishing the Flood Tides during full moons. Caught a lot of good fish on those nights.

Many baitfish spawn on moon tides, both full and new. Hit an estuary mouth on an outgoing tide at full moon and you can have a great night. And yes, cloud cover helps a lot.

All things being equal, two or three nights after full have been very good to me over the years.biggrin.gif My logs show cloud cover is a big plus, but less so in the fall (Oct & Nov)

overcast would surley reduce the brightness of the full moon so Ide say yes. Ive always had better luck with overcast days be it in day fishing or night fishing when targeting the big ones. Just seems to work out that way for me.

This has been the 3rd thread on this topic over the past month. It's good to see the interest and awareness of the moon phases and tides that go with the moon phases.

Personally i am 100 percent convinced that bright moonlight, especially over calm or clear water, is bad news.

However, an overcast sky that blocks out the bright light is much better and almost the same as the new moon.

Firstly though, it's always important to look at the tides first and moon phase second. wink.gif

I don't know, in the fall, livelining eels in the back, I have had MUCH greater success during full, or near full, than in-between phases. Never really payed too much attention to moon for anything else, my ability to go out far outweighs moon phases.