Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jeepcreep

Hooks again

Rate this topic

37 posts in this topic

For the last few weeks, i've been fishing these Owner Tournament Mutu hooks. I have an observation that i'd like to share. While these hooks are sharp, and the gap seems fine, I can't connect with a fish using these hooks with a bunker head.

using sizeable chunks, the fish takes it, the clicker goes off, and the hook is "set" in the usual manner. set quite nicely in the corner of the mouth.

With heads, I counted recently 4 solid runs without connection. the rod is picked up, three or four cranks, and a short walk backwards, and i swear i could feel the wide section of the bunker head "popping" out of the fishes mouth.

something about these things doesn't work with a bunker head. When they are baited the gap is clear. I snell them so that the leader comes through the front of the eye. Maybe it's just bum luck, but i can't bring myself to use them with heads anymore.

Jeepcreep

I've learned to hook the bunker heads through the lips starting with the bottom and coming through the top lip. The upper lip is pretty strong.

Also only go into both lips about a quarter inch, not much. The upper lip is strong and will hold.

This setup allows the circle hook to do it's job and set in the jaw.

Hope this helps.

Jack

the mutu gaps are suspect IMO...a little tight and it has a weird offset that just may not work with a big bait.

I used to swear by 9/0 gami big eye hooks, I've started sizing my hooks to the bait used...works nice so far. Still LOVE heart.gif the big eyes for heads and large baits but I also filter some owner SSW's into the spread for chunks and peelers etc. No issues so far, AND saving some dough.

I tried the Gami Big Eye Circles in 8/0 this weekend and loved them. Caught 4 nice blues up to 32" (My fiance actually reeld three of them in) and I usually have trouble hooking them on circles. The only knock is the thickness of the hooks, made penetrating the thick skin of the chunks from that big blue tough. For light hooks I like the 10/0 Owners.

I bought 6 more packs at Boaters World today, 5 bucks for 4 hooks. They are expensive even at half price.

CJ

The owner hooks in question are "owner tournament mutu circle" in 10/0. There's no offset in this style, and the gap seems appropriate. Here's a side by side, next to a mustad 15/0.

I reckon these hooks are for trolling baits like ballyhoo or something significantly slimmer than a bunker head. You guys can make your own comparisons, but i can't put my finger on why they didn't work out. I suspect it has to do with the distance between the point of the hook and the bottom ( bend). I KNOW the mustad finds the lip with a head.

FWIW, these hooks ran me about a $1 a piece, and are sharp ( no maintenance) So i figured they were worth a shot. I will continue to chunk with them, but leave the heads on the mustads.

Notice the condition of the Owner as well, I think the mustad in that shot was fished a time or two, and the owner definitely just once.

with the gamatsu (don't know the spelling) circles at 8/0 or bigger i have had a great amount of luck with. only had to sharpen them after a tremendous amount of use. biggest that I have had on them has been a 47" red and held great. i agree that heads should be hooked in as lightly as possible.

Call me crazy, but I've been using zip ties to attach the hook to the bait. Leaves a totally exposed hook. I go through the eyes of the bunker with the zip ties, 2 separate zip ties work well.

I've been using the same technique on shark baits, maybe it will work for you.

View Post You guys can make your own comparisons, but i can't put my finger on why they didn't work out. I suspect it has to do with the distance between the point of the hook and the bottom ( bend). I KNOW the mustad finds the lip with a head.

Maybe the way you snelled it. Both hooks are snelled different. Maybe it doesn't matter but maybe sometimes the way its snelled makes a difference becuase of the way the line is pulling the hook.

View PostMaybe the way you snelled it. Both hooks are snelled different. Maybe it doesn't matter but maybe sometimes the way its snelled makes a difference becuase of the way the line is pulling the hook.

Couldn't agree more... I know its contrary to what your saying, but the mustad in the picture is snelled in reverse... It obvisously could still hook a fish, but the line is entering the eye opposite of the way the hook is designed to function. If your other Owners are snelled in the same direction as the mustad in the pic, that could definitely be your problem.

might also be the degree at which the point is bent. If you notice it seems the owner hook has a sharper degree of bend then the mustad. If its bent up a hair more it might yeild different results.

I think the above posts about the snelling are correct. If I was not using a hook with an offset eye I would not even run the line through the eye. The knot will hold fine. I know of a lot of people who when switching to circle hooks for billfish would have pick ups but the circle hook would not set. By not running the line trough the eye the hook up ratio was increased. The line will pull the hook in a line parallel to the hook shaft.

John

I don't think it's the snell. A lot of fish have been caught running the line out of the front of a straight shanked hook.

IMO you could be hooking the head too deep for that smaller hook. you probably could use thst hook if you trim the head.

I trim my heads like this.

First I almost always cut the lower jaw off. There is no meat on the lower jaw. The only time I don't is if skates are really bad .

You get better castability.

In addition when you cut the lower jaw off you can then trim the nose. The end of the nose is nothing but cartilidge and offers no holding strength. Cut it off and you get less head sticking up in the hook gap to interfere with the set. If it is a smaller head I trim it at the red line. If it is a big head I trim at the green line and of course hook it deeper than the picture shows.

Agreed. I snell my hooks in the same manner (as he did the owner) and haven't had any recent problems with hook-ups. As Plug said, I believe it's the depth of the hook thats causing you problems.

But dude, We gots ta work on dem snells...biggrin.gif