Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lilrhody

first time boat owner

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Just bought a 19' lema skiff off my dad and looking for some help to get her back into tip top shape...the decks paint is chipping and peeling and im looking for the best advice to remove the old paint and if i may need to refiber glass it. here is some pictures its the deck and up the side wall. note its like this the entire length of the deck not just these spots.525

scrape off loose paint light sand and apply a coat of deck paint(non skid) or truck bed "Rino" liner? Nice project, you will be proud when you are done and it looks good. Post pictures we like to see projects.

Good luck O'D

View Postscrape off loose paint light sand and apply a coat of deck paint(non skid) or truck bed "Rino" liner? Nice project, you will be proud when you are done and it looks good. Post pictures we like to see projects.

Good luck O'D

Thank you will post finished job when completed, hopefully by next week, im broke after buying the boatfrown.gif but once the cash flow starts in again the paint job will be posted. I had two options buy a lathe to make my own plugs or buy a boat......i think i made the right choice.

well, one will bring in money slowly, and one will drain money at an extreme rate, generally 2 x a year. I would say the boat is more enjoyable, but may or may not have been the right choice.

I have never seen paint chip like that on fiberglass. It seems that it may have been done with a house paint. You can just scrape off and repaint as D.O.D said. I would not spare the expense with paint. For the seemingly small area, spend the extra bucks for a good one. I know easypoxy works great, but i think it may even be upwards of $100 per QUART. But it lasts. I painted a deck with that 11 years ago. It has been a lawn ornament for about 8 years, with 3 years of HARD service. Still in mint condition.

P.S.-If you want to remove more than just scraping will do, DO NOT use chemical strippers. The cheaper resins used for fiberglassing can have SEVERELY adverse affects on the fiberglass, resulting in structural damage to the fiberglass.

No offence but your Dad should have paid you for hauling it away! If the whole boat looks like that you got one hell of a job ahead of you. & I give you all the credit in the world if you deside to tackle it.I would think the best way to start is to power wash the whole boat.This will losen up all the bad paint & see what your up against.A Lot Of Scraping & Sanding to get her down to a level where you can apply a coat of paint. Paint isn't cheap.I paid $225.00 a Gallon just to paint the bottom. You might try & do the figuring on cost before you start any work because you may be able to pick up a used boat in decent shape for what it will cost you to get this boat in shape. Just a Thought Good Luck in what ever you decide..

dad never used it he did a favor for some older gentleman and he gave my dad the boat.. my dad never took it to the water has been sitting in his back yard for a couple years...took it to a local boat shop and they said the motor is in surprisingly good shape for the lack of use just had to replace some hoses and filters stuff like that..... i only paid 300 bucks for it trailer included... it floats and runs time to make make it pretty...