Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bigwilly11189

Fertilizer Help

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Ok this is my first year doing the lawn. I'm currently repairing some spots with seed and will be repairing more spots this weekend. SO, that means I can't put anything down with say Halts Crabgrass prevents or the like. So what does everyone recommend I put down as a "fertilizer"/food for the lawn that is safe for pets?

Can I just put down Scotts TurfBuilder? Was going to go organic route, but it appears its >$20/bag (4,000sqft coverage) vs <$10/bag over non-organic taht covers $5,000sq ft. I have roughly 15,000 sqft.

Finally, when they say covers 5,000 sqft at setting, say 6, does that mean it covers only 5,000 sqft going over the lawn north to south, or does that infer that it covers 5,000 sqft going north to south, then east to west?

Please help this newbie!!!1 redface.gif Thanks! biggrin.gif

Biting my tongue here.........wink.gif

That being said, I just saw a show this morning that said that you shouldn't fertilizer you lawn in the spring and wait until the fall. Spring fetilizing just makes for shallow root growth and super fast leaf growth, and the roots can't handle the leaf growth that quickly.

So just seed your spots, and keep the seed damp for up to 3 weeks until it germinates. Don't cut the new grass until it is at least 4", and then only cut it back to 3".

So I shut my mouth (and didn't say that LAWNS ARE EVIL), and now I feel so dirty.......wink.gif

I always use a 5-10-5 (Espoma Plant Tone)in late March to get the soil ready for the growing season. Other than that the only fertilizer on my lown is the clippins from cutting. Nitrogen is like crack for plants. Don't get them hooked on it. I don't use crab grass or weed preventer either. You don't need it if you have a thick lawn. Spot treat any weeds with a liquid herbicide. In the fall it's another application of 5-10-5, seed and lime in December if needed.

Ok, I won't go with Fertilizer this spring, I'm using the mulching function on the mower, so hopefully that will help keep nutrients in the soil. Also have the mower height set at 3" roughly right now. It stinks how some of my grass is still at say 2" height while some parts grow like crazy and are easily kept at 3" height, hopefully it will all even out over the summer.

I've had great luck with the Scotts lawn care forum. (do a google search). It's has a wealth of information regarding lawn care in all parts of the country. *btw, I use the forum site and don't use scotts products on my lawn. There are many cheaper subsitutes.

I will only buy Scott's fertilizer. It's a generational thing, i guess. My granddad would only use scotts, same with my dad. It works. The other stuff is usually a crapshoot.

I fertilize twice a year, and never use the crabgrass preventer or weed control, i have way too many tulips and stuff, and the weed killer would destroy my veggie garden if i used the clippings for mulch.