Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RegDunlop

Mini Laptop computer or netbook question

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Not sure what these new small laptops are called , but I was wondering if they can handle a program like photshop if I used with a large external storage device.

Somebody here has got to know .............

Those netbook are only built for web surfing and simple document handling. They aren't ment to handle any photoshops.

They're not so much on the horsepower but with maxed out RAM there's alot you can get done with them.

I would also say that they will run Photoshop; however much of this will depend on what you want or need to do within Photoshop. For simple stuff it should be fine. You could even run GiMP and not have to worry about the price. I tend to think the smaller screen would be the bigger annoyance more than anything else though.

I have a Dell Mini with an upgraded SSD (16 gig with accelerated read/write

speeds) and max RAM - 2 gigs.

I have Open Office on it, and it's workable but I wouldn't use it for any "serious" work. I'd guess that PS, particularly when working with large files, would really bog down.

There are a bunch of user forums that focus on specific net books. I'd suggest you search through some of them.

Okay thanks for all the answers. I thought that they weren't powerful enough.

I was waiting for a haircut in the barbershop, and there were no good magazines around so I picked up a computer mag, and there was a review on a mini and one of the tests thety ran on it was a photoshop test, but then it was my turn and I never finished reading the story.

I guess a netbook is not good for photo shop.

View Post

I guess a netbook is not good for photo shop.

Not quite. There are better netbook out there that can handle some graphics. But I'd say 80% them aren't up to the performance.

The low end one are about $200-250, and the high end one can be double the price. There are a big range there, but they mostly are build for web surfing in general.

Again....it comes down to what you need it for.

"Photoshop" is a general application. If you're dealing with 50 layer images the odds are it's not going to work out to a level of satisfaction that you'd find in full-sized desktops and high-powered laptops.

But for basic stuff I can't see how it wouldn't work.

Hey there! I concur with everyone out there that photoshop is a bit heavy of a program to run on a netbook.

However, there's an alternative! There's another somewhat similar program out there called GIMP, which runs on the Linux Operating system. GIMP is basiclaly the open source version of photoshop, with many similar features and capabilities.

Considering many of the netbooks out there come with Linux anyways (usually Ubuntu), GIMP should be packaged and available. GIMP should have no problem running on a netbook, and depending on what you're looking to do, do mostly anything like photoshop.

I bought a MSI U100 just for fishing trips about five months ago. It's fits right into my Shimano fishing backpack. That's my carry-on bag. So far, so good. It's gone to Panama and Costa Rica. Nice thing is it runs on Windows XP. It has a built in camera and wifi. It handles "Microsoft Office" very well. I see no reason why it couldn't take on photoshop. It has three USB ports along with a SD card port for pictures.

View PostHey there! I concur with everyone out there that photoshop is a bit heavy of a program to run on a netbook.

However, there's an alternative! There's another somewhat similar program out there called GIMP, which runs on the Linux Operating system. GIMP is basiclaly the open source version of photoshop, with many similar features and capabilities.

Considering many of the netbooks out there come with Linux anyways (usually Ubuntu), GIMP should be packaged and available. GIMP should have no problem running on a netbook, and depending on what you're looking to do, do mostly anything like photoshop.

from the GIMP site

Requirements

GIMP should run on any NT-based version of Windows (NT4, 2000, XP or Vista). Older GIMP versions (2.0.x) could also work with older versions of Windows such as Windows 95 but they are not supported anymore. The amount of memory can be an important factor, especially if you intend to work on large images. A minimum of 128 MB of RAM is recommended, but the more RAM the better.

View Postfrom the GIMP site

Requirements

GIMP should run on any NT-based version of Windows (NT4, 2000, XP or Vista). Older GIMP versions (2.0.x) could also work with older versions of Windows such as Windows 95 but they are not supported anymore. The amount of memory can be an important factor, especially if you intend to work on large images. A minimum of 128 MB of RAM is recommended, but the more RAM the better.

That's correct.

There's a version for Windows OS, but it's primarily a Linux utility that was ported over.

Again, this will come down to what needs to be done and if GiMP will work out. If you're a media professional you might find that GiMP isn't quite what you need or works in a manner you don't partiularly care for.

For 99% of the public it's probably fine though.

Were still at the crux of the same issue in regards to being able to provide an answer; what's the level of difficulty for Photoshop?

If all you do all day is take pictures of politicians and put their heads on Victoria Secret models then odds are the NetBook will be fine.

If you want to use it to create lifelike digital images with hundreds of layers then the odds are that it isn't.