Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Matt105

Newcomer with questions :)

4 posts in this topic

Hey everyone,

I'm 23 and looking to get into kayaking. I live in Charleston and have pretty much been on the water my whole life: surfing, beach-going, boating through creeks, water-skiing, etc etc.

Anyway, I've always had an interest in getting a kayak because I've loved the few times I've been able to get in one and paddle around. I'm finally at a good point in my life to get one, and I'll be living at a new place with a dock on a creek.

My question is what are some tips for getting a kayak? First, I will use it to just paddle up and down the many creeks around here as some good exercise+nature action, but further down the road when I'm comfortable in it, I will probably want to do some fishing and maybe even try taking it to the beach and riding the surf. Any suggestions on what to look for in a kayak when purchasing one? I will probably buy used off of craigslist. I don't really know how long it should be, or whether I should get sit-on-top or not. Now's a good time for me to start with the ocean being so warm and all.

I read the FAQ and safety tips that are stickied and they were extremely informative/useful advice. Thanks.

edit:

I'm 5'11", 170#

I would get a SOT yak. In creeks and other shallow water applications they are easier to get in and out of. Plus theres a lot of room inside to stash your gear.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking too. Maybe like a 12-13' sit on top kayak.

Question about rod holders: If I were to get a kayak that didn't have them pre-molded into the kayak, are there ones you can buy to "attach" them somehow? Or if I wanted rod holders, my best bet would be to buy a boat that had them?

View PostYeah that's what I'm thinking too. Maybe like a 12-13' sit on top kayak.

Question about rod holders: If I were to get a kayak that didn't have them pre-molded into the kayak, are there ones you can buy to "attach" them somehow? Or if I wanted rod holders, my best bet would be to buy a boat that had them?

You can add things yourself. As far as advice the questions you ask have been asked a thousand times on here. You can search all the past threads on any subject and stay up all night reading.