Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BassinJ

Bucktail Trailer - Pork Vs CurlyTail

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Well I asked Emgred this question, and the only difference between the two from what he thought was the Curlytail made the bucktail sink a little slower, or atleast thats what I think he said.

So now I come to you guys to get a opinion on the subject. Is there a better time and place for using a pork trailer, and a better time and place for a curlytail? Do you use a curly tail when specific bait are around, and pork to imitate a specific bait? I'm just looking for differences in the two that you go by. Are they pretty much equal to one another?

Thanks for any info!!

I tend to use the curlytail when I want a little more casting distance when the wind is in your face (i.e. Noreaster) and other times I feel that the lure "floats" more with the curlytail (I also use bucktails with lots more hair when I want this presentation).

Carry both, see what is working at the moment. Often, people catch bass for a while, then stop getting any action, think the fish left. Sometimes, just switching lures, colors, or presentation will show you that the fish are still there, just changed their preferences. Plastic and pork rind produce slightly different presentations. Carry both and switch up if one isn't working.

View PostWell I asked Emgred this question, and the only difference between the two from what he thought was the Curlytail made the bucktail sink a little slower, or atleast thats what I think he said.

So now I come to you guys to get a opinion on the subject. Is there a better time and place for using a pork trailer, and a better time and place for a curlytail? Do you use a curly tail when specific bait are around, and pork to imitate a specific bait? I'm just looking for differences in the two that you go by. Are they pretty much equal to one another?

Thanks for any info!!

BassinJ

Only a small part of what I said:

Here are some links

http://www.stripersonline.com/surfta...&highlight=70S

View PostWell I asked Emgred this question, and the only difference between the two from what he thought was the Curlytail made the bucktail sink a little slower, or atleast thats what I think he said.

Thanks for any info!!

There are no major differences between the two to fish as they all work as trailer. Color only matters when the conditions such as sunlight, water transparancy, or whatsoever, changes.

The most important feature of the pork rind is it's almost impossible to bite it off or tear it apart when fish on. That's it. I used to fish sluggo's when stripers and bluefish are around but there was a time when within one hour all the two packs were completely consumed by bluefish, which was really disheartening, then I knew it's time to let go the plastics in saltwater fishing.

2 cents.

I use plastic trailers almost exclusively now (when I use a trailer at all, because fish often show a preference for hair alone). Plastic doesn't fold over the hook and cost you a hook-up the way pork does, and I see no discernable difference in action/results with plastic trailers. I should also add that I'm fishing in 40'+ depths most of the time.

I switch to pork when the YEDs are around in force, though.

View PostI use plastic trailers almost exclusively now (when I use a trailer at all, because fish often show a preference for hair alone). Plastic doesn't fold over the hook and cost you a hook-up the way pork does, and I see no discernable difference in action/results with plastic trailers. I should also add that I'm fishing in 40'+ depths most of the time.

I switch to pork when the YEDs are around in force, though.

I've switch over to plastic trailers too exclusively, and I notice more hook ups then when I fished pork. I use 6" ronz tails, 5" fin-s and curly tails in a variety of colors. Sometimes if I want some "stank" I'll put a couple drops of bunker or eel oil on it, jury is still out on whether that works or not for me, but I do for confidence sometimes.

View Postwhy second guess emgred confused.gifbiggrin.gif

I take what he says to be very true and wise, I have very little doubt on what he tells me. Though, even he said to me once to never take his word for the gospel, and even though one thing may work for him where he fishes, it may be different where I fish. So because of this I sometimes feel asking the whole community the question, can give me even more info from a variety of people fishing a variety of conditions.

I only use pork on swinging hook buck tails for presentation or booofish. Rarely I will use pork to add color. The plastic seem to have a little more action and can be left on and put back in bag without removing them which can be a pain at times. If you need to control your depth you can change weight of the buck tail or increase the size of your trailer. With pork rinds you can easily carry 3-4 different sizes to change depth without switching B\\Ts.

I almost always use curly tails or some sort of shad body. I found it easier to change the whole color scheme of the presentation just by changing the tail. And I also find it easier to use different sized trailers to match what and how I want the bucktail to fall.