Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BrianM38

Strange break offs

Rate this topic

39 posts in this topic

OK... I am too through with break offs in the past 3 days. I lost 5 super strike poppers and have no idea what the problem is. One i will give that the bail snapped shut.. I know... Go bailless. It coming next week. The others were just in the middle of a cast. Its the braid breaking (40 lb power pro). I was able to retrieve one of the poppers (just to break off again after tying on a new leader) still attached to the leader. It seems the braid is breaking right at the uni to uni knot. If you look at he knot, its still intact. the braid still goes throug the mono end of the uni knot For the record. This braid has come off a bulk spool that I have until now both on a stradic 8000 and a Cabo 50. I have never had this problem with any other spool. I checked for a cracked tip top, I checked for a bur on the spool but the line isnt breaking at the spool. No bail failure except for one. I did change reels from a Cabo to a Stradic that was spooled at the same time. I broke off once. Now the weird part is that no other plug but a super strike 3 oz and 2 3/8popper has broken off. every other polaris or pencil has stayed on. Im not blaming the plug but damn it is weird that it is the only plug that is breaking off.

stuff like that made me gave up on Power Pro years ago

Sorry I cant help you but I am glad I don't have to bang my head in the wall to figure it out

good luck

View PostMaybe a nick in one of the guides? swab a Q-tip around the inside of each guide. Other than that.. I don't have a clue smile.gif

I checked the guides and all are good. Im not reeling the leader into the guides anyway. Also, it hasnt happened on other reels that have been on this rod

View PostGot an edge on a guide thats sharp? I have had that happen, took 2 spools of brand new line to realize that it had been rubbing just right.

I checked the guides as well as the frame of the guides. Again, my line, where its breaking is no where near the guides.

View Poststuff like that made me gave up on Power Pro years ago

Sorry I cant help you but I am glad I don't have to bang my head in the wall to figure it out

good luck

I just spooled another reel with suffix 40lb braid and the new daiwa samuri braid. I think I will like the daiwa. its very limp,smooth, takes a knot very well and from the feel of it, it may be a bit less abrasive on the guides. The only drawback is that it is expensive...very expensive. Time will tell on both.

It happened to me last year a few times during an outing. I had a loose bail and the braid was slipping of the roller and onto the screw holding the bail on. I figured it out when I made a cast and the bail screw and berings went to sleep with the fishes. Good times....

View PostOK... I am too through with break offs in the past 3 days. I lost 5 super strike poppers and have no idea what the problem is. One i will give that the bail snapped shut.. I know... Go bailless. It coming next week. The others were just in the middle of a cast. Its the braid breaking (40 lb power pro). I was able to retrieve one of the poppers (just to break off again after tying on a new leader) still attached to the leader. It seems the braid is breaking right at the uni to uni knot. If you look at he knot, its still intact. the braid still goes throug the mono end of the uni knot For the record. This braid has come off a bulk spool that I have until now both on a stradic 8000 and a Cabo 50. I have never had this problem with any other spool. I checked for a cracked tip top, I checked for a bur on the spool but the line isnt breaking at the spool. No bail failure except for one. I did change reels from a Cabo to a Stradic that was spooled at the same time. I broke off once. Now the weird part is that no other plug but a super strike 3 oz and 2 3/8popper has broken off. every other polaris or pencil has stayed on. Im not blaming the plug but damn it is weird that it is the only plug that is breaking off.

Many users of Power Pro report the same type of Mystery Breakoffs. It happened to me a few times during 2005 until Big Country turned me onto to Fireline. No more mystery breakoffs. In my opinion, PP is the worst of the lot. Just my opinion so I expect others will not agree. Good Luck

sb