Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fishrdan

BIG striper spinning reel/rod for 8 YO kid

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Long time lurker, first post... biggrin.gif

I'm looking for a small spinning reel with enough drag for a 20# striper (30-40# possible), yet small enough so my 8YO son (80# and tall for his age) will be able to use it easily. The reel will be loaded with 30-50# spectra,,, probably 20-25# mono topshot to start out with. I also need to find him a rod that's going to be easy for him to cast heavy/bulky lures. I was thinking of a 7-8 rod with a long butt section, 2-4oz and 15-30#.

I'm looking at Penn Slammer 260/360, Daiwa BG 13/15/20 and Shimano Spheros 3000-4000, something with an aluminum frame and good drags. Rod, don't know?,,, Tica?

I fish below Hoover dam for landlocked stripers using baitcasting reels and 10-11' surf rods,,, but don't have a clue on saltwater spinning reels headscratch.gif While out there my son wants to throw big lures "like dad does" but I haven't let him yet as his reel/rod would blow up if he hooked into a good one. I've found he gets frustrated easily if the reel/line has problems and don't want to buy something he won't be able to use,,, too big, difficult to use, crappy design.

Looking to spend $200 or so on the whole rig.

Suggestions...

ever since having used my 8 foot tsunami airwave twice, i love it(everyone recommended that or the tica surf rod). it is pretty light. i can even cast one handed with confidence( i do use it for LM bass fishing along tight shoreline cover). it drags bass out of weeds, sensitive enough to feel bluegills nibbling at my worm. do not know how far u need to cast but a 9 foot airwave should coer things. u could also go with st croix trumph(super light to the point it feels funny)

airwave is like 75 dollars with free shipping at harlee rod(google it) price ranges from 75-120(depending on length and location)

reel wise, im still looking for a decent reel too. spheros seem a bit heavy. daiwa bg have built a reputation as being suoper tough but not as braid freindly. since ur freshwater fishing(saltwater dunkings take qutie a toll on most reels), look at okuma reels(epixor being reccomended in past threads).

The Spheros 4000 is a mean little reel. Its not at all heavy. Great with braid. Puts out 22 pounds of max drag, which is enough to snap most rods.

Be mindful that braid has more tangles and also can cut you badly casting heavy plugs and under tension with a fish on with the little one using it.

I'd second a Spheros. Go with Fireline. 14lb test should cover most situations, and should be reasonably easy for the little guy to handle.

There's an 8 foot Diawa Sealine Surf rod 8 feet, rated 1/2-4oz. I'd probably expect the rating to function more between 1-3oz but that's just me. redface.gif

It has Eva foam grips, which you may choose to take off in favor of cork tape, to fit the little guy's hands a bit more easily. That should be less than $50 bucks.

The 5000 Spheros might be good for that rod... something tells me a 4000 might be a touch too small.

Wow thanks for all the responses!

I'm considering an Okuma reel since I have Induron 400's and like them (I normally don't post about Okuma,,, west coasters like to bash them kooky.gif). I PM'd one of their reps a few times and he suggested a Salina 45 spinning reel, though I don't know how big it is and if that reel would bee too bulky and cumbersome for a kid. For some reason,,, I'm debating between the Penn and Okuma, haven't put much thought into Daiwa or Shimano.

I was thinking braid since the minimum line I run down there is 25# (40# troll) and it might be difficult for my son to cast 25# mono. There are lots of snags and reefs in the river so using heavy line is pretty much required equipment. Good call on the spectra cuts though,,, guess I should use a long topshot of mono and backing of spectra.

I just want to make sure what ever I set him up with, he's not going to have an equipment failure. The stripers get really big down there (20, 30, 40,,, 50#) and I've learned the hard way not to use light or poor quality gear.

What do you guys think about an Okuma Solaris rod, 8', 15-30# line, 1/2-3oz?

Line rating seems good and all things considered, I think the lure weight will be fine for him right now as I don't see him throwing any of the really big 4-6 oz lures until he's bigger.

View PostWow thanks for all the responses!

I'm considering an Okuma reel since I have Induron 400's and like them (I normally don't post about Okuma,,, west coasters like to bash them kooky.gif). I PM'd one of their reps a few times and he suggested a Salina 45 spinning reel, though I don't know how big it is and if that reel would bee too bulky and cumbersome for a kid. For some reason,,, I'm debating between the Penn and Okuma, haven't put much thought into Daiwa or Shimano.

I was thinking braid since the minimum line I run down there is 25# (40# troll) and it might be difficult for my son to cast 25# mono. There are lots of snags and reefs in the river so using heavy line is pretty much required equipment. Good call on the spectra cuts though,,, guess I should use a long topshot of mono and backing of spectra.

I just want to make sure what ever I set him up with, he's not going to have an equipment failure. The stripers get really big down there (20, 30, 40,,, 50#) and I've learned the hard way not to use light or poor quality gear.

20 or 30lb Fireline... that should be more than enough...

I don't personally have experience with Okuma reels... but those that do seem to have positive results...

what kind of plugs/lures do you plan to have your son tossing?

i have noticed how the spheros in 8000 size is listed as light as the 4000 or 5000 size. is this really true? btw okuma reels are usually complaint after being dunked in saltwater. if u stick to fresh it probably would not be much of an issue.

I have the salina 55 and it handles very well and is not heavy. It easily handles 20 lb fish so the next size down would probably be ok. As far as the rod if the butt is too long he will have a hard time reeling in a big fish unless he has long arms or tucks it under his arm.

View Post20 or 30lb Fireline... that should be more than enough...

what kind of plugs/lures do you plan to have your son tossing?

I'm leary of running light line since there are so many snags in the river, been sawed off on rocks or wrapped in trees several times. The heavier line isn't necessary for fighting the fish, just for abraison resistance. We are either trolling right up close to shore (which is rocky) or casting into submerged trees, reefs.

My son been wanting to throw 6-7" Bomber A's (1-1.5oz) 6-8" Rapala's, one of the jointed trout look-alike lures I make, 12" about 2.5oz,,, basically anything big, looks cool and he digs out of the tackle box biggrin.gif

View PostAs far as the rod if the butt is too long he will have a hard time reeling in a big fish unless he has long arms or tucks it under his arm.

Yeah, if he ties into something good I'll have to assist, have him tuck the rod under his arm as I do, he's defiantly in for a surprise. No more of the under-the-crotch "rail fishing" method he's refined for trout and dink stripers... I really don't think he's going to hook anything over 20 with the lures he will be throwing, but there are some monsters swimming around in that section of river, so you never know.

View PostLong time lurker, first post... biggrin.gif

I'm looking for a small spinning reel with enough drag for a 20# striper (30-40# possible), yet small enough so my 8YO son (80# and tall for his age) will be able to use it easily. The reel will be loaded with 30-50# spectra,,, probably 20-25# mono topshot to start out with. I also need to find him a rod that's going to be easy for him to cast heavy/bulky lures. I was thinking of a 7-8 rod with a long butt section, 2-4oz and 15-30#.

I'm looking at Penn Slammer 260/360, Daiwa BG 13/15/20 and Shimano Spheros 3000-4000, something with an aluminum frame and good drags. Rod, don't know?,,, Tica?

I fish below Hoover dam for landlocked stripers using baitcasting reels and 10-11' surf rods,,, but don't have a clue on saltwater spinning reels headscratch.gif While out there my son wants to throw big lures "like dad does" but I haven't let him yet as his reel/rod would blow up if he hooked into a good one. I've found he gets frustrated easily if the reel/line has problems and don't want to buy something he won't be able to use,,, too big, difficult to use, crappy design.

Looking to spend $200 or so on the whole rig.

Suggestions...

It's always good to enjoy fishing time with your kid.

Qauntum Cabo 40pts ........... heart.gif .... can be had for under 200 if you look around.... pair that up with an 8' Airwave ...... may be a few $'s more but its a nice setup...