Line Recommendation for Sage RPLXi 9'6" 9 weight

Rate this topic

mycoatl

Anyone recommend a favorite line for this rod for stripers and blues? I'll be fishing from a boat and the shore, so I was thinking about an intermediate and a sinking line. Maybe something around 350 grains. Thoughts?

If you are talking about whole lines vs heads you may be a little too heavy. A #9 line is about 245gr. A #11 line is about 340.

And the RPLXi isn't that fast a rod. That being said , I just built a 9'^" #( on a CTS Affinity-X blank that needs every bit of a #11 to load it the way I like it.

Bottom line is that you are going to have to experiment. But 350gr may be too heavy.

Herb

View PostAnyone recommend a favorite line for this rod for stripers and blues? I'll be fishing from a boat and the shore, so I was thinking about an intermediate and a sinking line. Maybe something around 350 grains. Thoughts?

that rod is a beast. it could handle a 350gr head, but that might sink a little fast for shore fishing.

I own the same model but prefer not to use it on the boat as it is a bit too long for landing larger fish. The added length, with it overlined, is perfect for mending and a higher backcast while wading. I just recently tried a Sci Angler intermediate Surf 10 weight on mine and find it loads very nicely by overlining it. It also shoots better than any I've tried. By far the best solution is to have some of your fishing buddies let you try theirs in different brands and line (grain) weights and then go buy one of YOUR liking, not some one else's. Fish those test lines in the water with a fly. Very different from casting on a lawn. Lines are a very personal choice left to the rod brand, casters style and the caster alone. Good luck. Find one that works for you and you will be a very happy fly flinger!

Phil

[/sIGPIC]So many places to fish, friends to make, so little time.

350 gr. may be fine for the rod, but it's a bit much from shore unless you are fishing an inlet, a jetty or riprap, or otherwise have fairly deep water / fast current at your feet. This has little to do with the rod, it's a matter of placing the fly in the water column.