Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
clam master

help with lures and plugs

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

I am a live bait guy I have never caught a fish on artificial. Now I do well with bait but feel a real fisherman can utilize artificial lures and catch fish. I am reluctant to ask this question for fear of showing my posting newbness. But I was wondering if anyone could suggest some good plugs or lures and the proper technique on retrival. Now believe me I know this is like asking a chef about his secret recipe but I feel my fishing is ready for the next step. So if anyone has some pointers it would be greatly appreciated if not I totally understand

12' ugly stick ,penn sv8000' as far as line goes usually something in the 15-20lb range as for brand the last stuff I bought was gorilla wire. I am open to any suggestions on line because I really have no clue. I am the only one I know who has a passion for the sport so my interaction with knowledgable fisherman is limited. Unfortunetly everyone I fish with looks to me for answers and unfortunatly for those poor bastrds my knowledge stops a good spots and right tide

Knowing that...this is what I'm guessing you have......a H rated rod that's rated to take lures ranging from 2-12 oz. and line from 12 to 40# test, and a reel that can take 20# easily. Hum.....sound about right?

Given that, and given you can put close to the 20# test line you mentioned on the reel, it appears you got the neccessary basics...something you can use without spending additional cash for new equipment.

So.....mixing all that info up ......I would suggest lures weighing up to 3 1/2 oz....however, some guys here may suggest otherwise.

Wood/plastics.....Pencil poppers around that weight range....loaded Cotton Cordells are a good and reasonably inexpensive lure. Also polaris style poppers in that weight range.

Tin.....Bluefish love Kastmasters...3-3 1/2 oz types are easy to find. Also Hopkins in the same weight range. Bass take them as well.

Jigs....Bucktail jigs....many types are in that weight range.

That should get you started....others may wish to add their two cents.

Good luck Clam Master.

Clam Welcome to your new addiction. I,ll almost 2nd what Joe said but if your using a rod holder while bait fishing and you feel plush then get your self a 2nd rod and leave it in the rod holder ready to cast when you start get fish on your bait rod. Many of the guys much older than JoeG (its possible) generally have a tin hanging in wait or in July or August they might have a popping plug instead. If you end up not liking plug fishing then you have a 2nd bait rod. At any rate have fun

You should get yourself a nice 10' Tsunami Airwave, or Tica Dolfin, for tossing artificials. That 12' Ugly Stik is going to wear you out, and make casting plugs more difficult. If you don't enjoy what you're doing, you won't stay with it.

If you try casting plugs and jigs with a 10' medium power rod, you'll notice the difference right off.

When I was just starting out, if you wanted a decent rod you had to spring for a custom. Nowadays there are some really nice sticks out there for around $100.

This is in my bag now . small white spooks or pencil poppers (5"-6")mostly ..Some custom but some not ,,, cordell plastic ,, ccb plastic popper,, As the year goes on the plugs will get larger .a small spook is always with me .. Pencil poppers and spooks work in the canal ,rivers,beaches, islands, freshwater,, everywhere.. Learn the walk the dog technique... Its easy ,bounce the tip of the rod and reel.. You can bounce the rod up for a large pencil popper .. You can bounce it down for a small spook or if its windy .. If the lure is going back and forth your doing it right .. Now see how slow you can go with your retrieve slowing the forward progression as the lure walks... try speeding up . play with it ,, When the fish are on top water plugs I think its the most fun kind of fishing ..Watch the rise behind your plug .. Watch them blow up on it .. Watch them miss it only to come back harder .. nothing like it ... now pearl white is making it right ..

If you want to catch fish on lures and you're fishing by day, get yourself a couple of nice tins (I recommend the Pt. Jude tins) and a couple of Surface Tension lures. They're inexpensive and pretty much foolproof.

For tins I really like the Pt. Jude Nautilus, but pretty much everything they make catches (and has been catching for a long time). The Butterfish and Sand Eel tins are also favorites of mine.

In either case, its just cast and retrieve at a medium pace. Couldn't be easier. I catch a lot of fish on both.

Passed my 12' Ugly Stik to my 23 year old last year (mind you the next day he nailed a 42" striper chunking on the beach with bunker and clam on a hi/lo while we waited for slack at the Ditch). Running an Abu on a 10' Tica Dolphin now and it is a lot easier to chuck anything - plugs/tins/bait (I do not jig- just no good at it). On the other hand, in my twenties we would hammer all sorts of crazy stuff into the surf/canal on 12 and 13 ft rods all day (fuelled by Busch or Michelob). At 60 it is somebody elses turn to bust their back.

PS. Kept the 9 ft Ugly and the Penn spinner. Comes in usesful for blues. Always have it with me so I don't have to swap for a blitz.

As a "non -jigger" - again just do not do well at it - I too have had good luck with the Pt Jude kit. The Nautilus is my favourite, but the others do their job well also. I guess my second favourite (in the early summer off the beach before dawn - on turn of high) is the Sand Eel.

With the sand eel tin there's a different technique.

You want to work this very slowly.

Sand eels wiggle into the sand to hide. You want to imitate that. That means fishing a sandy bottom. Cast and let the lure sink to the bottom.

What you want to do then is wiggle it a little, to generate little puffs of sand (like its burrowing in). Then wait. Now jerk the lure up off the bottom a little and repeat.

This will get the attention of bass and they'll watch it. You'll get strikes when you pull it up off the bottom. Looks just like a sand eel emerging from hiding.

If you're not that patient, you can also just bounce the sandy bottom with it and that's effective at times. The Po-Jee tin can also do the same. The Po-Jee is also a good imitator for silversides and such with a faster retreive.

Now believe me I know this is like asking a chef about his secret recipe but I feel my fishing is ready for the next step. So if anyone has some pointers it would be greatly appreciated if not I totally understand

All my secret recipes (and all but a very fine few chefs) have been learned over many years of watching, listening, learning and refining. Good and Bad!

This is how I am slowly this Cape Cod game. Never close your eyes or ears! These boards a whealth of +++ information!biggrin.gif

P.S. Get your information quik! The fish are startin to show and these boards will get a lot less informative very shortly. Check back in the Fall!biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

I agree that the 12' ugly stick would be too heavy for pluging.

Check out the Tsunami Airwave rods, also Zeno Hromins book "The Art of Surfcasting with Lures".

I've had good results with two inexpensive lures, the Atom striper swiper in white and blue and the Mambo Minnow in olive gold.

As far as technique, a slow steady retrieve, stay in contact with the lure, no slack.

Good Luck clam master