Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kench

1st surf set up for me.

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Stopped by Dick's Sporting Goods to kill some time before the Springsteen show last night, and ended up walking out with a new Shakespear 10' ugly stick combo for $80, and an aluminum sand spear for $17.

Loaded it with 20 lb, and can't wait to get some tackle for my beach camping trip in 3 weeks.

So I'm thinking some buck tails, shads, and a few spoons will be good enough to get me started at Smiths Point, and Shinnecock, and Cupsogue. Any other things to get me rolling (hand gafe, long needle nose)?

Thanks

Also get yourself some quality swivels like SPro's and a spool of 50# mono leader material - you'll want 3 feet or so of leader to help prevent bite-offs and give you something to grab on to when landing a fish. Attach the leader to your 20# main line using the swivel and either tie direct to your lure or use a Breakaway or Backlash clip if you can find them.

That rod will last you forever but its more of a chunking one rather than a plug or lure one, not that you can't, just that your arms and back are going to be killing you after your done, and your not going to load that rod with a 1.5oz bucktail.

but as they said pliers, knife, flashlight (night fishing), and a bag to carry all other stuff is some of the basics you'll need. Have fun and enjoy your time out.

View PostThat rod will last you forever but its more of a chunking one rather than a plug or lure one, not that you can't, just that your arms and back are going to be killing you after your done, and your not going to load that rod with a 1.5oz bucktail.

but as they said pliers, knife, flashlight (night fishing), and a bag to carry all other stuff is some of the basics you'll need. Have fun and enjoy your time out.

What is chunking?

The hooks don't have to be red.....I would also rather use 50 then 40lb leader since I will be catching a 50lb bass this year.

fishfinderherringriglg.jpg

Dont forget the white bucket, no other color will do. And get a couple poppers. I dont know the action of your rod but 2+ oz will probably get it out there a ways. You might want to get a windcheater or mombo minnow type of lure as well.