Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Halvey64

Battery Charging

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

I have never had to use any charger, or conditioner. Pulled them out RIGHT after taking the boat out, and stored them ON WOOD in the garage, plugged them in, had and held the same 13 volts that I put them away with.

What you want, if you want to use one tho, is a "trickle" setting. you want ROUGHLY .6 volt higher than stagnant voltage(12.8 volts) at about 1/2 an amp.

Ya I'm sure had I stored it myself it wouldn't have been such an issue. Winterization and storage was included for the first year with my new boat and I should have asked for some of the details about what they did for storage. Ended up they didn't pull the batteries and now I have a dead one at launch.

oh, boo. In the marinas they usually use wierd battery warehouses. With big hot bars and ground bars, sometimes running 100 batteries on the same charger. Don't want to make all marinas look bad, but the ones I have worked at, batteries are clipped on when taken off the boats, and those chargers/hot bars, are NEVER checked unless they notice a problem with a LOT of the batteries they have re-installed for spring commissioning.

Unless the battery is a Deep Cycle, I would tend to say that it's shot. If it is deep cycle, try and find a 12 volt light, with low wattage, and run that battery down to NOTHING!!, and then try a full charge. Sometimes spanking them like that brings them back.

View PostWhat you want, if you want to use one tho, is a "trickle" setting. you want ROUGHLY .6 volt higher than stagnant voltage(12.8 volts) at about 1/2 an amp.

Sorry that's all I got.

Halvey, Don't want to keep spamming your topic, nor get you upset at me. Just a little more info.

Rolls Battery Engineering is by far the best battery out there(for it's type). Generally not used, because of the sticker price/shock. They are the only battery company I know of that warranties a battery, on the water, for 7 years. As proof to the quality of the battery, their 8D battery weighs roughly 300 lbs, where the average battery weight for an 8D is roughly 170 lbs. More lead=more power/reserve. My only suggestion is to see if they would reccomend a charger if you don't get anything here.

I've been using a Xantrex on-board charger for the last 6 years with no problems.

Black & Decker makes a very good one called a "Smart" charger. They come in all different sizes, get one that also reconditions the battery. All you need to do is hook it up to a battery, then plug the charger in and the charger will only give the battery what's needed then puts itself on a maintenance "charge". If the battery is bad the charger will tell you. They cost about $60 to $130 depending on model.

I have used for years an inexpensive trickle chatger I bought on sale at West Marine, It is a 1 ( or 2) amp model. I only use it during winter storage and I don't leave it on. I charge each battery about ones a month and it takes several hours to top off, sometimes overnight.

As mentioned, a lot of my club buddies don't charge theirs at all in the winter and usually there is still enough charge to start the motor the following season.

The main reason I charge is that as the battery charge lowers, the freezing point rises. In a really cold winter, a deeply discharged battery can freeze and ruin itself.

I have a Schnauer 10 amp/2 amp regulated charger. Use the 10 amp to recharge dead or low batts, switch it to 2 amp for lawn mower and trickle charge. Was about $40 30 years ago, still works great. A cheap trickle charger will work also if you are not in a hurry or just want to top off and keep it full during storage. The schnauer chargers are still sold. Also has a battery condition guage, new ones are digital. Auto zone.