James3shin

How to tell apart an [Atlantic] Bonito from a False Albacore

Rate this topic

43 posts in this topic

I never knew how to tell them apart until I just did a little googling. Here are the differences:

1. Bonito are usually half to two-thirds the size of False Albacores

2. Bonito have straight horizontal markings on their sides while False Albacores have dark jagged markings.

3. Bonito apparently taste a lot better than False Albacores.

I want to catch both on my 9wt.

Their pretty easy to tell apart once you catch them. I'd be lying if I didn't keep a falsie a few years back on the boat thinking it was a bonito. Won't make that mistake again. Good luck on your quest to get them with your 9, should be a whole lot of fun!!

John

Stick your finger in its mouth--if it comes back bloody, it's a bonito cwm27.gif

You can't miss those teeth--that's the easiest way to tell them apart.

View PostI never knew how to tell them apart until I just did a little googling. Here are the differences:
  1. Bonito are usually half to two-thirds the size of False Albacores

2. Bonito have straight horizontal markings on their sides while False Albacores have dark jagged markings.

3. Bonito apparently taste a lot better than False Albacores.
I want to catch both on my 9wt.

How's This.

the picture shows it a bit too, but if you're familiar with tunas the albie has the shape of a yellowfin or bluefin more (heavier body) while the bonito is narrower like a mackerel.

Well smartmouth. It doesn't matter if you don't catch them!! Oh wait that would be me.

Very diffinitive pics Bill and looks like fun.smile.gif

View Post1albie07.jpg

Albie

bonita2.jpg

Bonita

The last fish is not a bonita it is a bonito

Big difference!!!

Albie, little tunny, bonita are all the same fish with varying names.

The bonito or the Atlantic bonito is the one that is edible and is in the bottom picture.

caught an atlantic bonito off RI a couple years ago while jigging parachutes for stripers (in late august). The captain called it a "green bonito". Was absolutely delicious fish - like tuna, but a little lighter. The only one i've ever seen in about 10 years of inshore striper/blues fishing around RI, block, MTK.

Are they typically an offshore fish? Do they come in with the false albies in the fall?

Bonito are great eating. Albies are a bloody mess, but some still eat them. I recommend releasing both. Too valuable to catch only once!

In both the pictures and the photos, it looks like there's a largemouth-smallmouth type difference, too. The bonito's mouth seems to extend past the eye (like a largemouth), while the albie's mouth does not (like a smallmouth).

Never having seen either line and in person, I'm just guessing here, so if that's wrong, I hope someone will correct...

Barracuda

View Postcaught an atlantic bonito off RI a couple years ago while jigging parachutes for stripers (in late august). The captain called it a "green bonito". Was absolutely delicious fish - like tuna, but a little lighter. The only one i've ever seen in about 10 years of inshore striper/blues fishing around RI, block, MTK.

Are they typically an offshore fish? Do they come in with the false albies in the fall?

Late August and into September, yes. Usually the bonito arrive just a bit before the false albies. At least this is how is happens in Buzzards Bay and around the vineyard.