Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wreckin crabs

Bucktail jig hooks?

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

Hi, I just started pouring my own sinkers and I want to start making some bucktails. I like Do IT Molds and wanted to try their ultra minnow jig mold. I didnt buy the mold yet because the hooks that they reccomend for the SHR-4-M (smaller size) are mustad hooks and they say that the hooks are not saltwater quality. Are there any gammie hooks or owner hooks that will work in the place of the mustads. This is probably a stupid question but Im new to the mold thing and before I start buying the paints and molds for jigs I just want to be sure that I can build something with a dependable hook. Also do any of you jig makers have any other jig mold reccomendations?

Thanks, Chad

View PostHi, I just started pouring my own sinkers and I want to start making some bucktails. I like Do IT Molds and wanted to try their ultra minnow jig mold. I didnt buy the mold yet because the hooks that they reccomend for the SHR-4-M (smaller size) are mustad hooks and they say that the hooks are not saltwater quality. Are there any gammie hooks or owner hooks that will work in the place of the mustads. This is probably a stupid question but Im new to the mold thing and before I start buying the paints and molds for jigs I just want to be sure that I can build something with a dependable hook. Also do any of you jig makers have any other jig mold reccomendations?

Thanks, Chad

That's a wierd mold, the smaller jigs take 60 degree bend hooks and the bigger sizes take 90 degree bend hooks. I never use the hooks that do-it recommends, I like the gamakatsu 604's for big stuff and the Owner 5313's for smaller jigs. They'll work in just about any mold that takes a 90 degree bend.