Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SurfGuy85

some helpfull information sharing for the surf man??

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

for those of us who surf fish i ask this:

what do you feel based on your experience and striper region, is the dominant factor in your plugging habits? would it be color, presentation or size/shape in relation to the prevalent bait.

sure all these factors play a roll in the moments leading up to a strike, but what to you is the most important factor and why?

IMO i would go with presentation in spring to mid summer months i.e slower retrieves or working a plug in a strike zone longer to patiently waiting fish than in the fall when ''attention'' to color can sometimes eluminate your plug among the hords of migrating bait and ravenously feeding fish.

im looking forward to reading alot of good stuff herebeers.gif

Good thread! For me I look at the bait and water conditions. Also the light conditions, some places I fish are brighter than others. As for speed I think I tend to reel a little faster than most people but again that depends on conditions. I also look for white water even if its just a little around a jetty tip I would work it good. The water clarity also has to be taken into account, some colors stand out better (Parrot or chartreuse) during the day. Also the time of day,at first light you cant beat a Parrot colored plug (IMO). As for color I stick to the basics (yellow-white-black) the exception is the orange Magdarter. I don't know why but it works great at night.

my experience this year is a repeating theme that I try and use as a starting guide, in the spring looking for bait patterns. Find the bunker (bigger baits)one hopefully finds the fish and bigger fish at that.

Spring moves into summer start to concentrate on the tides and structure that has proven itself from log books as resisdent bass settle in.

Summer comes back into fall again try to combine sructure with bait migrations assuming we have a good hatch of bait that year.

In terms of color those are pretty consistant the whole year Daybreak/Dusk colors: yellow,parrot, white, blurple

Night colors: black, yellow, plurple

again all thru out the year very very, slow at night

If I'm at a spot that produces bass, than the presentation. The action of the plug to attract. If I'm scouting around, or at a new spot, than it's the presentation, the action of the lure to attract a bass.smile.gif

1 - Profile

2 - Action

3 - Where in the water column

I fish at night 98% of the time so retrieves are slow, slower, and slowest; unless that doesn't workcwm13.gif.

As to color - Light, Medium, Dark

im a big believer in plug profile. many times i have gone skunked in using otherwise proven artaficials but because the profile didint quite resemble the resident bait, i went fishless.

its funny how even active blue fish will tend to zero in on a particular profile

1. Water conditions: large waves, small waves, calm

2. Wind: do I need to throw some distance into wind, or not a factor?

3. Night/Day

4. bait size, though I don't stick very close with this

View Postlocation,location,location, other than that just have fun. It,s not supose to be hard work, just fun. I,f your having fun it,s not wrong

hard work is fun when it pays off thoughbiggrin.gif

View Postmy experience this year is a repeating theme that I try and use as a starting guide, in the spring looking for bait patterns. Find the bunker (bigger baits)one hopefully finds the fish and bigger fish at that.

Spring moves into summer start to concentrate on the tides and structure that has proven itself from log books as resisdent bass settle in.

Summer comes back into fall again try to combine sructure with bait migrations assuming we have a good hatch of bait that year.

In terms of color those are pretty consistant the whole year Daybreak/Dusk colors: yellow,parrot, white, blurple

Night colors: black, yellow, plurple

again all thru out the year very very, slow at night

Hmm, you don't use blurple at night? Is plurple any different then blurple?

its a whole combination of all those things.

but at the end of the night its whatever the dumb things want to chew.

usually predictable, but every once in a while they throw ya a curveball.

theres so many variables, that its kinda tough to write it all down. Go out and screw around and figure em out and how they react best to you is really the best advice. I'm sure alot of us do things a little differently, yet end up with similar results.