Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mooser

bathroom sink sewer gas

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

My bathroom sink reeks of gas and I have been putting vinegar /baking soda combo and getting poor results. My tail pipe going into the wall pitches downward into the bathroom. Anyone know any remedies for this sitiuation. Thank You so much. Mooser

silly question, but is there a trap under the sink??

could be a plugged up vent causing water to be sucked out of the trap, does it make noise at all when you flush toilet or run any other water?

I had a similar problem..It turned out not to be sewer gas but a backpitched drain from my dishwasher that caused the stink in my bathroom. I disconnected the dw and the prob stopped...Also, check the vents for clogs..both the one on the side of the house and the roof vent..As a roofer,I have seen tennis balls in the vent cause the same problem..

Make sure the sink trap is holding it's seal. This water seal prevents sewer gas from entering the room. If the seal is holding to the fixture and you still smell sewer gas you will need to inspect the piping going downstream towards the, drain, vent, or vent stack. It's possible there is an open end in the drain or vent. If you have Cast Iron it's possible the cast has rotted a hole in a fitting or pipe. Do an inspection and find the source.