Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
planter

Grease Removal??

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Just picked up a NIB 710. I did pay more than the $27.99 price tag still on the box but what the heck.The thing has never seen a reel seat and even has a "reinforced fiberglass" sticker on the spool.

A simple question though.. The thing is very stiff and the "grease" is VERY well gummed up so what is the best way to rid it of the petroleum WITHOUT a complete take down. Can I just desolve it using a spray of VERY hot water or can I use a light solvent of some sort?

Thanks once again guys for answering such a goofy question. redface.gif

You can't get rid of all the grease without a teardown. You have to open it up...how else are you goin to regrease it?..or is this going to be a shelf queen? If so, leave it alone. White gas is my degreaser of choice, but thats for parts cleaning, not spraying on a reel. WD40 will gum up over time too.

You can't get rid of all the grease without a teardown. You have to open it up...how else are you goin to regrease it?..or is this going to be a shelf queen? If so, leave it alone. White gas is my degreaser of choice, but thats for parts cleaning, not spraying on a reel. WD40 will gum up over time too.

Odd! Been doing it for the past 20 years at least and no problem with guming up

Marc..

This may be a dumb question will any of these remedies harm the finish of the reel? Why I ask is my Hardy Perfect Fly Reel is rather pricey and Id rater shelf it than harm it .Thanks for any help in advance.

I usually soak greased up parts in WD40. Removes the grease and protects all in one shot. I do the same for m,y gun parts and works like a charm. One can buy a whole tin can full and reuse it.

You will need to take the reel apart, remove as much of the hardened grease as you can manually ( q-tip, small screwdriver, etc.), then WD-40 or light machine oil to remove the remaining grease.  Take care with some solvents, they can remove finish, may be carcinogenic, and may be flammable.  It would be best to perform the work in a well ventilated area, rubber gloves and eye protection.