Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
opa81

Pezon and Mitchell Luxor

7 posts in this topic

Yesterday I bought these 2 Pezon and Mitchell fishing reels here in The Netherlands.

What I like to know is how old they are and how much they are worth.

I'm even thinking about using them myself.

Thanks,

Andre de Boer

Amsterdam

The Netherlands

2l2hja.jpg

They Are Some Around 1940 Give Or Take ,

Fair Price For Whats In Pic Would Be 6o-80 Us Dollars ,pretty Common If You Look For Them, Great Surf Reels.

Last Two I Had I Gave Away,

Hope They Are Being Fished "k"-man

Here is a post from ORCA on the luxor crack reels. I have a ton of these reels. You have the luxor size 1 marked A and B, 2 reels that are smaller in size but pack alot of drag power and can def be fished. Looks like you have 2 reels there 1 from the 50s 1 from the 60s

"First the history, (early) LUXOR reels were all designed by Paul Mauborgne. He had them made under his supervision by a company called LLM. LLM delivered the reels to Pezon et Michel that provided the boxes, did the marketing and distribution. The NAME Luxor was owned by Pezon et Michel. The technical patents were owned by Mauborgne.

A little after Mauborgne died the Mauborgne family separated from Pezon et Michel in 1967/68.

The Mauborgne family continued making technically the same reels under the name CRACK.

Pezon et Michel continued using the name LUXOR for different reels (the square Luxor Nr.1 e.g.), as they did not have the rights to the technical part, only the name !

Called Luxor Saumon-Mer (Salmon-Ocean)

First version 1940 half-bail, knurd. handle knob, also with Manual p/u

Marked "LUXOR SAUMON MER PEZON ET MICHELL MADE IN FRANCE"

Second version 1949 full bail now with marking "LICENSE P MAUBORGNE"

also available in manual p/u version, sold as Surfcasting

Third version 1954 handle can be folded, also available in manual p/u version, sold as Surfcasting

Fourth version from 1955 - till ? different a/r knob, different handle, also MPU version first marked "A",

Fifth version from ? till 1959 marked "B"

Fifth version from 1960 till 1967 now marked "C"

That's it !

The Crack 300 was made from 1968.

About 5 or 6 different versions exists

First versions marked Bernouville sur Eure (Bernouville is the name of the place were the Mauborgne family lived, Eure is a river).

Versions with manual pick-up marked 300S

Here's a line-up of the LUXORS size 1 with FULL-BAIL :

LUXOR LUXE 1949 inscription "LUXOR PEZON ET MICHELL LICENSE P. MAUBORGNE MADE IN FRANCE BREVETE S.D.G.D." no anti-reverse

LUXOR SPECIAL 1949 foldable handle knob, silent anti-reverse

LUXOR LUXE 1950 with anti-reverse, smooth tapered handle knob

LUXOR LUXE 1953 straight handle, 2 different drag knobs exist green or bronze aluminised

LUXOR SPECIAL 1953 straigt handle, only available in green aluminised

foldable handle knob

LUXOR LUXE A 1955-1963 marked "A", many different small technical changes

LUXOR SPECIAL A 1955- 1963 marked "A", many different small technical changes foldable handle knob

LUXOR MPU 1957 manual p/u with line roller, marked "1G"

LUXOR LUXE RAPIDE A 1960-1963 marked "1R-A", fast retrieve

LUXOR SPECIAL RAPIDE A 1960-1963 marked "1SR-A", fast retrieve, fold. handle knob

LUXOR LUXE B 1964-1967 flat handle knob, bronze colour, marked "B"

LUXOR LUXE RAPIDE B 1964-1967 flat handle knob, bronze colour, marked "1-RB"

LUXOR SPECIAL RAPIDE B 1964-1967 flat handle knob, bronze colour, marked "1 SR - B"

could someone tell me where I could information on what I think is a 1940/49 luxor pezon Michel 8c, black in color,  LICENSE P. MAUBORGNE MADE IN FRANCE BREVETE S.D.G.D.? like what rods were commonly associated with these reels, a parts list, pictures, etc. my google search doesn't show mine exactly

I Believe those are Luxor 100's, the value of these, along with a lot of classic reels, has been dropping for a while now.

In unfished mint condition, no box, figure around $40 to $50. Used condition from $15 to $35. 

For that price and for the great quality of those reels I fish the two I have and love em. Actually I fish one, the other is saved for parts, which can be nearly impossible to get.

Open them up, being carefull with the screws as they are very soft metal, clean em, grease em well and go catch fish.

Suds, I have seen all the collector reels price falling. Though it is a buyers market. Us collectors that have a large stock hate to see it. I think, as others have said it was the start of the internet sites. An example, I looked for a reel by thomen, model tomsurf for 25 years. Only when I was on the internet did I find it.