Truck running rough

Rate this topic

Tumbleweed

I've got a 1998 f-150 4 x 4 that's always run fine. Lately when I get up around 60-70 mph it starts to run really rough and when I let up on the gas it rumbles and shakes until it gets back down around 55 or so. Also when you step on it the engine goes but it is not smooth and feels like it's missing some power. Any ideas? Thanks.

Try a new fuel filter.

"I have ... put a lump of ice into an equal quantity of water ...  if a little sea salt be added to the water we shall produce a fluid sensibly colder than the ice was in the beginning, which has appeared a curious and puzzling thing to those unacquainted with the general fact."- Joseph Black

not sure what year ford went to the coil on plug set up but that may be your problem.

i have a 2001 f-150 that had the same symptoms, ended up being bad coils on cylinders 1 and 8.

had to take it to a ford dealer that could hook up to observe real-time conditions as the problem would not throw a code into the obd system.

with 2 coils going bad my truck would idle as smooth as the day i got it.

only under certain conditions would it run rough and it had no codes stored in the computer that my mechanic could read. he reccomended i take it to ford and they had a different system that could see the misfires.

View PostMy wife's 1997 Expidetion had the exact problem. Ford uses a coil for each plug. One coil was bad. $200 to replace it.

Same thing happened to my 1999 F-150 only mine would ride rough around 50 mph. It turned out to be one of those coils....mine was covered under warranty.

Typically an ignition problem is amplified when under load like acceleration but as bizarre as this sounds I had a similar problem with my Ranger. Granted they are different vehicles but it turned out to be the transmission being low on fluid.

CT