Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Stuu

Best driving directions: NYC area to Hampton, Va

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

Just wanted to say thanks for all the replies !

I should have added more details. My friend will be going down January 2nd, returning the 4th, so the beach scenery is not important. He is only interested in the quickest, easiest way.

After showing him this thread, he had one question: "Why does this guy JohnM type so bad ?"

You guys must have a whole lot more patience than than me. I moved from Jersey over twenty years ago and now live in Virginia. I would never think of taking any of those side roads through Delaware or Maryland unless someone else was driving. Especially if driving time was of any concern at all. Maybe I have gotten MORE impatient since leaving Jersey, but 35 and 45 mph speed limts for miles on end drive me crazy. The most direct and fastest route is 95 to 64 east BUT the key is to drive during the off hours as others have said, like middle of the night off hours. The Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel is a modern wonder of the world, so that is one good reason for taking the "scenic route" if time isn't a concern. Good luck and stay safe.

I do the obx, nc to long island trip about 4x a year and I will never ever take the 95 route. Everyone who has visited me has hit traffic somewhere along that route. Any of the other routes mentioned are good, just do not take 95.

Petey I couldnt disagree more. 95 is a nightmare sure oyu can go 65 but the traffic jams around DC kill ya. besdies per mapquest my house, jus tnorth of philly to Buxton (the point) is 440 miles going down rt 13. goign 95 to 64 is 511 miles (per map quest). I uusally make buxton is 7:30 in the spring/fall. I only make the drive 15-20 times a year ot hatteras and beleive me if the way you mentioned was faster I would be all over it.......btw you can average about 55mph on 13. smile.gif

bottom line is its more scenic and faster wink.gif

------------------

John M

johnm@stripersonline.com

If you commit to coming 95 and you get hung up in the DC area, here's a fix:

Get off on rte 4 south, go about 15 miles and get on 301 south. Cross the Potomac into Virginia ($1.50 toll) and you can either take 301 to 95, which will dump you out north of Richmond, or you can take 17 south off 301 and that'll take you to Yorktown, where you can get on 64.

hmmmm KW how long a drive is it if you tak ethe detour. I mean how long form DC to 64? I know the other parts of the drive.......I am alwasy willing ot listen to new ways to go......until I can figure how to get the camper and cooler rack on a helicopter Iam stuck drving smile.gif

------------------

John M

johnm@stripersonline.com

John, I think it is time for your pilot's license. Leave a truck at Billy Mitchell, and find an airstrip close to your house.

Oh, and by the way, you can swing by and pick me up at Allire or Lakewood, whichever more convenient. biggrin.gifHappyWave.gif

------------------

John B

mako7@monmouth.com

John,

I spent 5 years commuting to the Outer Banks while working up in DC, so I knew most of the shortcuts.

No matter how you cut it, the DC beltway always locks up somewhere between the Wilson Bridge and the exit for 95 south at the mixing bowl. Then you're stuck in it, these days, until you pass 234 at Dumfries.Sometimes all the way to Fredericksburg.

If you take 4 to 301, there are two towns you pass thru, Waldorf and LaPlata, and there are some lights. But you're moving.

If you were traveling at 2:00 am, stay on the Beltway and 95 thru the mixing bowl.

If you're passing thru on a Friday afternoon, say around 2:00 pm, I think I'd opt for the 4 to 301 route.

One thing I hated about driving 64--there are only two lanes each way, and everybody starts playing leap frog, and chicken, when it comes to changing lanes. Wrecks are frequent, and, if you don't hear about them early enough, you can't get off on 60 (parallels 64) so you're stuck, and usually the waits are long. I'd rather be moving.

I found the 4 to 301 route about 20 minutes longer, and a lot less stressful.

Stuu I might type bad but the pearls of wisdom I dispense....awww forget it lol we both know I dotnhave a clue wink.gif

John Its all good man I got the chopper at the doylestown ariport. I will pick ya up and we can go down the coast scout for fish wink.gif

KV I will look at the map 95 make me nervous so many place to get snagged in traffic other than DC. Philly, baltimore, the 295/495/95 merge....plus any stray accidents/contruction. One positiove abotu 13 I seldom if ever hit accients or much contruction back up.

------------------

John M

johnm@stripersonline.com

If you're coming down from Jersey, I would think it's hard to beat 13.

One other thing came to mind, and that's if, for whatever reason, you decide you want to do the route I mentioned, is you can avoid Baltimore and a lot of the mess on 95, if you come down 301 thru Delaware, and into Maryland.Then you get on 50 west. You can cross the Bay Bridge and pick up 301 directly without having to mess with the DC Beltway at all.