Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Stuu

Best driving directions: NYC area to Hampton, Va

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

A friend is looking to drive from northern NJ to Hampton, Va. Doesn't know if he should take I-95 the whole way thru Balt/DC etc., or head to Rt13/113(?) thru ChessBay bridge tunnel, then up to Hampton, Va.

Any help comments would be appreciated. (traffic, lights, speed)

Your best bet is to take 95 all the way down in most cases. You want to avoid DC between like 3-5 on Mon-Fri!!! rt 13 is like taking Rt9 all the way to AC. Lots of lights and only about 45-50mph the whole way. Once you get into Va. You want to take 295. It is about another 2 hours into Va on 95. Once there look for Rt 64 and then it is home sailing to Hampton, Va Beach, Williamsburg, Norfolk, and Newport News.

Have fun!!

Worst part of 13 is thru Delaware to Dover, which can now be bypassed by taking the relatively "new" Route 1. (Toll)

When I go to Hatteras, I still take the old way, but Route 1 would cut a lot of time, if I was interested in doing that.

Even going all the way on 13, Delaware Memorial Bridge to CBBT, on a Saturday afternoon is about 4-4 1/2 hours. Taking Route 1 past Dover will probably cut at least 1/2 hour off that. (And that's with at least two quick stops for the dog and the wife...wink.gif)

Over the CBBT is about 15-20 minutes to Va. Beach...so gauge from there.

Route 95, not for me, the sooner I'm off it, the happier I am. But then, I like the scenery along 13 in Maryland and VA, and it's sort of part of the total vacation experience of Hatteras. smile.gif

Good Luck!

Rt. 13 is scenic. There's a Stuckeys not to far into Virginia, pick up some fireworks, cheap smokes and a pecan log...

God I love Dixie! Hide your radar detector.

[This message has been edited by D Powell (edited 08-15-2002).]

Take the Delmarva route! Faster and more scenic. Stay on 95 to DE Rte 1 take 1 south to 113 below Dover. Take 113 to jct 13 at Pocomoke City MD. 113 thru DE is not the most scenic but from the DE/MD line south its very nice. 13 thru VA is a nice ride with the crepe myrtle in bloom now. They are a flowering tree whose northern limit is DE/MD. And the bridge tunnel is neat.

If your friend wouldn't mind adding a half hour to his trip, just a couple of miles south on 1 from the 1/95 interchange he can exit 1 at the 273 interchange, take 273 east to rt 9 and follow rt 9 to its southern terminus at 113 south of Dover. A real nice ride through the farms and tidal wetlands of eastern DE.

Steve you ever take 9? Sounds like you'd enjoy it.

Plug - never did route 9. Perhaps I'll think about it next year if we are making good time. By the time we get to Smyrna, we've already been driving about 7 hours, so after another hour or two, we start to get weary....

We do, however, on the way back, take 113 up to 50 (nice ride) and thru Ocean City, over IRI and up the Delaware Beaches to get to the Lewes Ferry....again, not necessarily the fastest way to do that, but at the end of the vacation, I still want a last glimpse at the beaches (and, um, other "scenery"...icon15.gif)....though traffic through Rehoboth on a Sat or Sun afternoon can be a bear.....icon15.gif

Do that trip fairly often, Plugs route seems pretty close to the way I go. 113 has the scenery (farms and such, which can't match the 'beach' scenery but we are trying to get somewhere right?) but eliminates a mess of lights and speed traps found on 13 (watch your speed on 113 also, prime summer fun for MD cops seems to be busting speeders out in the boonies). Rt 95, from the Maine Turnpike to the southern extreme should be avoided whenever possible, even more so in the DC area, unless you are driving well off of the 6am -10am or 3pm to 8pm rush hours. DC traffic is worse than NY. Go the DelMarVa rt for sure.

since I am alwasy looking for better ways to get to hatteras smile.gif which is better 13 or 113? I usually avoid 113 as it seems to be longer.......opinions. I only go to hatteras 15 or 20 times a year lol so saving osme time is alwasy of interest to me.

------------------

John M

johnm@stripersonline.com

John,

Except for summer weekends it's 6 of one half a dozen of another timewise. 113 is about 4 miles longer with a stretch of single lane in MD, but it has significantly less traffic lights and many of them are trip light intersections with country roads. Most of the time you roll through the single lane at normal highway speed.

Avoid 113 on summer weekends unless you are smoking through in the middle of the night.

I like the ride on 113 much better. Far less seedy roadside commerce to have to look at.

I am a seedy kinda guy so I like that stuff dont ya know? lol

No high dollar seegar joints. Only phillies and king edwards. Plenty of places to get the purple and gold velvet bag though. That and used cars, second-hand furniture and scrapple samiches biggrin.gif