Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Prefessa

Baitfishing the surf with a Newell 235

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Guys:

Any of you guys use these??? If you do what Lube do you go with in the bearings?

I had mine out Sat nite. Red Rocket oil in the bearings. Although I didn't fuzz up the reel, the RPM's this thing generated burned a groove in my thumb from thumbing the graphite spool.

Thinkin' of going to SAE 90wt oil in the bearings. Anyone out there tame this reel? Magnets are not doable on this reel as the spool is non-metallic.

Hi Prefessa smile.gif I've got a venerable old first edition 229M which has seen a lot of chunking duty, and continues to so. All I've ever used on the bearings has been Garcia Silicote Reel Oil, and she runs just about like I likes 'em... right on the edge of - but not quite beyond - out of control. biggrin.gif

Prefessa as Newell guy mentioned the 30 weight although I've been using 20 - 50 engine oil, I think he's talking 3 in 1 oil? People have used to 120w gear oil in their bearings. It's as a fine caster as you'll find, but controlling it is the major problem. Maybe after the next 20 years of baitcasting I'll master it aside from lobbing eels, jigs or heavy plugs and be able to cast plugs 2oz and under into the wind? Prospector

3/1 is probably fine. Despite the aficionados on St Augustine Fishing!, there's not too much need in the NE to try for that extra yard. The Newell graphite spools are indeed thumb burners, and the reels are probably better suited to mono then braid for that reason. A short cast w/o hook or bait to wet an easy casts' worth of line is a good idea, I think ... Prospector, for lighter payloads on a Newell, a shorter rod butt & a softer action makes all the difference in the world.

Brian, I've only got so many rods to choose from! For the life of me I've never been able to get my 229 down pat. Daylight hours it's fine on any one of my 3 Lami's. Nightime unless I'm lobbing something with a thumb at all times it's a blowup. Any cast at night for anykind of distance or for that matter any plug 2oz and under is a nightmare to sy the least. Sure I can get the job done by thumbing and lobbing with no problem and cut my distance by a third at least than my other reels, but why should I have to sacrifice. Bait , bucktails, eels and such, no problem! Plugs? There's a better way! Prospector