Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
caranx

beaching a good fish

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

During my latest fishing trip I had to deal with the pleasant issue of beaching a good sized fish, something already done before but this time with a beautifully sized beast. I was there with the guide so I knew I could count with some help but in general I approached the situation this way. During the fight I stepped back on the beach looking for a higher angle between the rod and the fish to reduce the risks of tangling with a rock or a wood or whatever. Also I felt more comfortable with more line out, even if it was a braided I knew the minimum stretch could always help a bit. When the fish start loosing strength, I gained line and got closer to the surf feeling more comfortable then with a sort of "physical" contact and again improving the line's angle, when the next obstacle was the step of the undertow. Then, with the help of a decent wave, I pulled the fish and with the help of the guide it was done. Had I been on my own, I would have taken a bigger risk and improved the pull and maybe waited a bit more to land it when a bigger wave approached but let's say, more or less this has been my tactic.

I know there are guys who sometimes, once hooked, have the tendency to follow the quarry and I understand this is directly related to the size of the fish, the power of the tackle and the presence of structures around the spot. What is your personal (and general) approach to a similar situation, let's say with a nice sized critter ?

Thanks for your comments

Ciao

Caranx smile.gif

------------------

disegno_crevalle02.jpg

Fishing locally here on STAten Island I am usually waist deep in the water. So I don't beach fish per say. I usually fight the fish in close. Once it is close enough to grab the leader I do so.Once the leader is in hand I usually slide my hand down towards the fish. Depending on the type of fish and how it is hooked determines what happens next.

Most bass I just grab their lip while I work the hooks out.Especially if they are smaller fish. A larger fish might reqiure a body hug to keep under control.

Bluefish i usually try to grab behind the gills while I work the hooks out.Sometimes I might stick my hand carefully under the gil plate to hold the fish.

oh yah once the leader is in hand i either open my bail or pull line from the reel. Don't want any tension on the line while working the hooks out.

Fishing locally here on STAten Island I

oh yah once the leader is in hand i either open my bail or pull line from the reel. Don't want any tension on the line while working the hooks out.

Nice tips, I will have to try the opening bail cwm40.gif sounds like the right way to go.

I like to beach a fish if I can.If I'm wading and it's a good fish I head for the beach if possible.Don't botrher for smaller fish i can handle easily.I think with better fish it's to your advantage to get that fish away from deeper water and current and in the shallows where it doesn't have room to fight.In the surf I try to bring the fish in on a wave and hold it there as the wave runs out.sometimes on a steep beach with a good backwash this can be pretty hard.Sometimes the fish gets down in the trench at the break and really digs in his heels.You just have to be a little patient and wait for a good opportunity sometimes.

I don't think a fish is bothered a whole lot if you leave them on the wet sand and unhook them with out touching them to much.I noticed that fish lay still a lot better if they can feel a little water around them.With a single hook and no barb you don't even have to touch the fish sometimes.Reach down, back out the hook, nudge the fish with your boot so it's facing out and off it goes with the next wave.They seem to be none the worse for wear near as I can tell.When you pull them up on dry sand is when they start flapping around.Especially Bluefish.They always freak out when they can't feel the water anymore.Than they get sand stuck all over them too which can't be a good thing for the fish.

I'm usually in waist deep water and love my boga grip. I try to give them some line to work with and work the fish close enough to grab with the boga. I'm getting pretty good at it now. I have too many hooks in my hand and my waders so I invested in the boga. Love it and have had no hooks jamming my casting hand anymore. Then it's a quick spot weigh and release it for another day.

If its a decent size fish I always back off the drag when the fish is close to beaching. In this way the combination of the fishes weight and the undertow will not cause any part of the tackle to fail under the pressure.

You guys actually catch 'em?!?!?!? I usually just stand there and cast over and over! If I do hook one I have a special ability to "release" them before they even get to me! That is the real way to do it!

wink.gif

luke

I'm just curious...do any of you guys ever have to contend with seaweed in the surf where you fish. At times it can be a major factor in playing and landing fish.

In the surf, I'm usually on the second sand bar and fishing the gut between that and the third bar, putting me in waist to chest deep waves. Mostly the fish I catch there (speckled trout and redfish) are easy to make "the grab" on or land with a net. I only walk a fish in to the beach if it is a big drum, red, spanish mackerel, etc. I just hate it when that pesky Sargasso ruins the action of a good fish and I have to walk it in to sort out fish from weed from plug.

I never noticed any of y'all mention having this problem...just curious...W.J.

[This message has been edited by Walkin' Jack (edited 11-16-2001).]

Walkin' Jack, I've just finished reading THE PLUGGER, a book I'm sure you know very well and I would really fish your area. I hope I'll have the chance to come over one day or another, wading those flats must be great.

Ciao

Caranx smile.gif

Actually the mung was bad this year.(Mung is a very fine reddish weed that clings to everything it's a real pain in the butt).Actually saw people this spring losing they're lures to the mung it was so thick.If you had 12 lb.test on you were history.Bye Bye lure.