Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sacobayguy33

plugs for early spring

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Although I'm confident this could be discussed at length- I happen to feel color helps but it's not as critical in the spring. I happen to think for stripers and early blues it could be any color-it's more of the splash and action of a top water plug than anything else.

Any popper with a buck tail on it should do the trick.

My favorite for spring plugs on light tackle is the Storm Chugg bug CB-11

250-404-04a?layer=comp&wid=500&hei=500&f

Top water, is my pick as well. A few rattles don't hurt either. Color? I stick to light shades, but have no scientific data to back me up on that. biggrin.gif

View PostTop water, is my pick as well. A few rattles don't hurt either. Color? I stick to light shades, but have no scientific data to back me up on that. biggrin.gif

Ding! I like poppers as well in the chartues or neon yellow shades

View PostAlthough I'm confident this could be discussed at length- I happen to feel color helps but it's not as critical in the spring. I happen to think for stripers and early blues it could be any color-it's more of the splash and action of a top water plug than anything else.

Any popper with a buck tail on it should do the trick.

My favorite for spring plugs on light tackle is the Storm Chugg bug CB-11

250-404-04a?layer=comp&wid=500&hei=500&f

Yes, I'm a topwater fanatic also. But it's gotta be the chartreuse/silver chugg bug, great for schoolies. I do change the rear treble hook with a 3/0 siwash hook.

View PostYes, I'm a topwater fanatic also. But it's gotta be the chartreuse/silver chugg bug, great for schoolies. I do change the rear treble hook with a 3/0 siwash hook.

icon14.gificon14.gif that or Crimp the piss out of all the hooks- schoolies usually flap around so much they get hooked up on a couple of the hooks anyway!icon14.gif

olive mambo minnow would get my vote but for June its usually a white salt shaker for the smaller fish and a large fin-S for the larger ones. Mostly river fishing in June.

That's my vote. I think last year I started w/ one of my blk/silver popper and then went to one of my z. spooks in the same color, never really had to switch, I was happy. I should expand my selection of what I use and I have way too much stuff but I only use 10% of it. Anybody else do that, use only a small % of what they carry? Sorry don't want to take your thread. Scott