"Read This" - reading the beach quiz thread

Rate this topic

charkbait

View PostSo you are saying fish where the water comes in the hole on the edges where you can see a split between two sand bars really right.....??? In the white water or just inside that. I guess the fish come in like a parking garage you are saying, they circle the edges of the hole! I will have to try this at some point walking the beach. I fish the beach in OBX 5-6 times a summer but looking for trout/pups with small rod or the fly. Never OC or AI. Guess this will be my new hobby for the summer! Serious keep the pics coming and break them down. There is two you guys just posted but didn't speak of yet!

The idea is to post them and have others chime in to validate what they see in the pic vs the actual conditions.

cool spot, that's a lot of faith in the incoming tide, you sure had it staked out to the max.

Yellow marks very shallow water and bars, red marks the edges of it deepening to the cut which is marked in green which would be damn good on the last of the flood and damn near most of the outgoing.

me, I'd be fishing out off the yellow with a bait into the cut and maybe one back into the hole...at least until the tide drove me off.

What say ya'll?

This is a very good thread. Thanks guys.

Chris you don't happen to have pics from out on the point last September when we were out do you? I thought I had taken some of what you pointed out to me but I can't find them.

View Postanything hungry swimmin' in it?

The picture was taken I believe on the 19th of jan08 , we ended up with several nice stripers and one lonely puppy drum (slot fish) the tackle shop said it was one of latest drum they had ever seen on the island. Fished that hole for several days straight and caught fish everyday, untill a good blow took it away.frown.gif

Salt air,Surf,Sand & Fish!! Welcome to My World!!

OK so the yellow is a bar. the stars are the shoulders where one's bait would like to sit still. the red arrow looks like moving water, and the blue line would be a ledge or drop-off leading to it. the red arrow may be wadable at low to get out to that bar and work behind it, or drift a bait down in that (red arrow) moving water at flood or high...

after i marked it up, and started thinking about it, i recognized it, at least i think i did.

The fish are someplace else, unless your somplace else; in which case they are somplace elser.

absolutely nailed it! I expected folks to get the bar and the dropoff but you picked up current and depth as well...I must bow down.

The breaks in the whitewater in this location are only a foot deeper then the surrounding bar...just an example of how a change that is so simple can produce fish...pulled that 50" red in the pic right off the right hand star but over the bar on a micro sized chunk. No bites all day and just started seeing how far I could cast....water came in and did the fish. 9 reds over 40" off that bar last year, including 2 50" and a 53" that formula'd out at 70#.

I place baits inside, on and over this bar that juts diagonally from the beach...no fish on anything but incoming as the current on the shoreside of the bar picks up and creates a hell of a washing machine on top. Great spot for pups too. Moments before the biggun took my bait my borther in law pulled this pup off the top of the wash. The current, deep water, and diagonal bar are very evident in this pic. Everyone see it now?

Well, I am late to the party as usual...

Here's a picture wherein the rip current can easily be seen...but look real good, there's something else going on...hint: what do rip currents attract?

Here's a little closer view...hmm...

Here's a close up...there's a Dolphin cruising around just outside the rip current... That Dolphin is there because its knows a rip current is a feeding station...

As equally, Striped Bass and Red Drum will be hanging around rip currents too wink.gif...

Poppy

poppy , since you are a wealth of knowledge about surf fishing what are yours an others that post on here 5 top things to look at when fishing .

mine are, as # 1 being the first thing i look at 1 time of day ,2 tide ,3 wind 4bait 5 weather. i also feel as though depending on what type of fish you want to catch, i preferr fishing for bait fish, say 11 am to about 5 pm depending on what time of yr it is an water temp. i left water temp out of the top 5 because you can use different types to componsate for that

like others to weigh in on this lol to see how far i'm off .

thanks earlkooky.gif