Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
charkbait

"Read This" - reading the beach quiz thread

Rate this topic

221 posts in this topic

I have an idea for what could be one of the most educational threads on SOL. It has been done before but this one will have a different spin on it. Where before Poppy and others have been so kind as to post pics of what rips, cuts, bars etc look like. This thread will be more like a quiz and the answers from the members will serve as the education.

Here is how it will work. A member will post a picture of the surf in an area they fished or found interesting with the simple phrase "Read This", then the rest of the forum members can chime in reading the water in that specific photo. Make sense?

Throughout the spring lets make an effort to shoot the surf in some interesting spots and post them up, we'll all get better because of it.

I'll kick it off.

This is a shot at low tide of a nice hole

The yellow boxes note sand bars

The green notes a cut in the series of bars

The red was a very deep hole surrounded by the bars

The blue dots were locations where bait got chomped by some nice drum when the tide filled the hole that night. They came in through the cut and rode the ridge of the bars around the hole looking for bait that washed into the less turbulent waters. Deep water in close makes for a hell of a drum fight!

If I had it to do over I would have waded out on the bars at the top of the pic and casted from there until the tide pushed me off.

Last year I visited my sister in OC and the whole beach was a series of those deep holes. Thay were up the beach from 40th street as far as you could see. I decided to make a trip on a monday and the beach people were pushing the holes full so the people sunbathing could swim without the RIP currents. It was a sad day for me to see the big equipment on the beach.

Rick

I don't need no stinkin' pics...I need salt spray, sand, wind, all that good stuff. Need it so bad. Three days, 13 hours, 24 minutes....

View PostI don't need no stinkin' pics...I need salt spray, sand, wind, all that good stuff. Need it so bad. Three days, 13 hours, 24 minutes....

good, bring me back a beach pic! Come to think of it where you are going you should be able to exactly replicate the first pic I posted.

Well...I'll play.

Red arrow is a narrow trough which is inside a bar (green box) thats close to the beach. X marks the spot...

Most important feature of this pic is this characters few remaining hairs blowin in a strong south wind smile.gif

It ain't always so obvious. I was looking at the water one day when the tide was down and so was the wind. Like lookin' at a dead millpond. Noticed a very, very subtle little crease in the bar. Almost not there. Later that day when the tide came up and the wind started howlin' big stripers came pouring through that crease. Best striper fishing I've ever had until the wind go strong enough I couldn't fish with 12 oz. Didn't bother to take a single photo but I will always remember that day...

View PostIt ain't always so obvious. I was looking at the water one day when the tide was down and so was the wind. Like lookin' at a dead millpond. Noticed a very, very subtle little crease in the bar. Almost not there. Later that day when the tide came up and the wind started howlin' big stripers came pouring through that crease. Best striper fishing I've ever had until the wind go strong enough I couldn't fish with 12 oz. Didn't bother to take a single photo but I will always remember that day...

Yep! I couldn't agree more. You can only get the most obvious structure from a snapshot and sometimes the snapshot can give you false impressions...

Had a similar day myself last year. My buddies and I got into some nice fish that came from nothing more than a little crook in the bar. I wouldn't have called it a break, just a little pocket that was no bigger than 25' or so.

View Post

Most important feature of this pic is this characters few remaining hairs blowin in a strong south wind

S'alright, you youngsters will be there someday.

That's actually near the end of a bar that angled in and ran out on shore. One of my favorite setups. Put your baits just on the far side of the bar that the fish use as corridor. That day you could watch the schools of mullet traveling it. The predators were stacked up, caught 2 drum and probably 20 sandbars. I think I'd a caught more drum if the biters didn't keep occupying my lines.

View PostS'alright, you youngsters will be there someday.

Couldn't resist...I'm hopin they have hair growth in pill form when I'm that age...Chia-pet for yer head.