Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
carp13

Serious question for experieced yakkers

21 posts in this topic

View PostI was thinking it would slow down your drift a bit... I've seen and heard of boats using them... it creates more drag, and slows down your drift.

Yeah, but NOT in current, in wind yes.

View PostI was thinking it would slow down your drift a bit... I've seen and heard of boats using them... it creates more drag, and slows down your drift.

they are only good in open water where the wind in a bigger contributor to your drift than the current.... in a river.... cwm27.gif .... with a sea anchor you'll go flying by as fast as a dead piece of wood.... cwm27.gif .... would be fun if you weren't fishing....

i've tried all different ideas and tried all sorts of anchors, and i came to the conclusion if you want to fish hard currents you NEED a VERY STRONG fluked anchor.... and not a river anchor (they're useless) and not a concrete block either.... while taking all necessary safety measures...

i use an anchor on my yak that is rated for ~20-25 foot motor boats biggrin.gif and oh yeah.... don't forget that the length of line to depth must also be at least 5 to 1.... in order for the anchor to grab properly....

This is the anchor I have.... not sure if this would work in a strong current, but it worked fine in the lake I was in yesterday... I may need more line (Only has 25 ft, but in shallow water, it seems to work ok):

41Z2R0N2TML._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Yep... read that in my Boater Safety class cwm15.gif ... I think they even recommended 7 feet of line per foot.... but I've read a bunch of other places that said the same rule you did...

Until I get used to my yak though, I'm only going to anchor if I can touch bottom with my paddle, so I'm thinking this anchor should be ok for that.

Just not sure about the current though.... I'm trying to take baby steps, and just get used to the kayak.... plus stay safe...

Hey Carp, I couldn't tell from your picture, but you really wanna over-do your tie downs, especially on the rods. I fished a smaller yak, the Scrambler, and really prepared everything well (at least I thought) with bungies and more bungies on my paddle holder, tackle box holder, etc.... but I only had one on each rod, and low and behold.... I flipped. My crappy reel on an Ugly stick stayed put, but my brand spankin new Quantum Cabo 50 on a Teramar Inshore went straight to the bottom. And I mean literally brand new, I only cast it once. I was in 50 ft. of water in our local pass. Live and learn, but that was an expensive lesson. I went back with my buddy in his boat and suited up and dove for about 45 minutes, but I couldn't find it. The culprit? Glad you asked..wink.gif .. The boat had developed a very small crack in the thick plastic keel (probably from creek trips and logs) and was slowly taking on water. By the time I noticed, it was too late. And I've been kayaking for 15 years. I've even run some Class2+ rapids on a sit-on just for kicks.kooky.gif

So yeah, expect the best, plan for the worst. And very nice smallie, I miss those here in FL, but the Cobia make up for it.smile.gif