Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
biggstriper

Are the Striper stocks down??

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

I've caught the skunk.gif my last two trips. It can't be my fishing prowess. :-P

Is it possible to rescind back into Googanism? :-P

[ 12-06-2004, 11:31 AM: Message edited by: biggstriper ]

I dunno if 2 trips with the skunk is enough to say they are in decline,a whole season,maybe...

I think it depends on where you are,its December and things are pretty much over here in CT except for resident fish.Right on schedual pretty much as it always has been..

There's always next year wink.gif

Spawning stock biomass for Striped Bass - one of the most important measure of stock health -

(in millions of pounds)

1995 - 30.77

1996 - 39.84

1997 - 42.00

1998 - 42.03

1999 - 42.86

2000 - 45.94

2001 - 47.28 (peak)

2002 - 46.19

2003 - 28.12

If 1995's measure of 30.77 million pounds was enough to consider the striped bass "recovered" - does that mean that 2003's lower SSB number means they are "un-recovered"?

Yes, according to the SSB numbers, spawning sized striper bass stocks are at their lowest point since before 1995 - since before they were "recovered".

But since we're not "absolutely certain" that we're killing too many, the ASMFC voted to let us kill the same and more right through the 2005 season - and the soonest they'll consider any changes is for the 2006 season. This is why politics and money shouldn't be making the critical decisions regarding how many stripers we can safely kill each year.

TimS

This is why politics and money shouldn't be making the critical decisions regarding how many stripers we can safely kill each year.

Uhh Tim? Didn't the board simply follow the recommendation of the TC? A group made up of scientists?

While I have to admit that I wasn't as focused on Striper fishin this year. Most of the spots I do like to fish had a noticeable decline of fish. Especially in NJ- the spots I have depended on in the past have been coming up empty. This may be due to shore development- that remains to be seen.

I didn't see the number of surface feeding bass up at the Cape Cod Canal that I saw in the past. Just small, sporadic spells of surface feeding fish.

I dunno if 2 trips with the skunk is enough to say they are in decline,a whole season,maybe...

I think it depends on where you are,its December and things are pretty much over here in CT except for resident fish.Right on schedual pretty much as it always has been..

There's always next year wink.gif

Usually at this time of the year I see Hickory Shad all along the beaches. That means that there will be unseen Stripers following them and feeding.

It may just be a late migration. confused.gif

quote: This is why politics and money shouldn't be making the critical decisions regarding how many stripers we can safely kill each year.

Uhh Tim? Didn't the board simply follow the recommendation of the TC? A group made up of scientists?

When? I was talkin' about how many stripers we can safely kill each year - that decision was made with Amendment 6 - and in my fuzzy recollection, I thought the TC or at least some of the TC had recommended we reduce harvest?

As far as this past meeting where it was decided to not change anything (other than allowing NY a second fish that they definitely had coming to them) until 2006 - yes, from what I remember, the TC said was that they are not "absolutely certain" that there is overfishing ocurring and that regulations should not be relaxed at this time. Did the TC say the ASMFC shouldn't reduce mortality or did they say just not to increase it?

I can't help but look at that SSB number - it's 2 million pounds below the threshold and 10 million below target - and not get aggravated that nothing is being done about it.

TimS

Usually at this time of the year I see Hickory Shad all along the beaches. That means that there will be unseen Stripers following them and feeding.

It may just be a late migration. confused.gif

There's been hickory shad on our beaches this week smile.gif Only problem is, they are as big or bigger than the bass on the beach with them smile.gif

TimS

Oh. I had thought you were referring to the TC's recommendation for this past year. Not Amendment 6.

And the TC didn't say "don't reduce the harvest" it just said not to increase it.

Try erasing the 2003 numbers from your brain. Make like they aren't available yet...because in some respects...that's exactly the case.

HappyWave.gif

There's been hickory shad on our beaches this week Only problem is, they are as big or bigger than the bass on the beach with them

Since when has that stopped a bass from having a little thanksgiving feast?

While I have to admit that I wasn't as focused on Striper fishin this year. Most of the spots I do like to fish had a noticeable decline of fish. Especially in NJ- the spots I have depended on in the past have been coming up empty. This may be due to shore development- that remains to be seen.

I didn't see the number of surface feeding bass up at the Cape Cod Canal that I saw in the past. Just small, sporadic spells of surface feeding fish.

I fished pretty much the same this year as years past and can't honestly say I've seen a decrease in numbers,caught more fish this year than last,more the year before than last,but about the same as this year.

Also had one of the best weeks ever on the cape this past sept..

It might be just a matter of timming wink.gif

Not saying that over all populations are good everywhere you go,I'm just one guy sharing my expiriences biggrin.gif

What goes on in Jersey is another story tongue.gif

Could be an elevated water temperature problem. I know in Jamaica Bay the water temp in August was 76*!

And the TC didn't say "don't reduce the harvest" it just said not to increase it.

Exactly smile.gif In my opinion, if there weren't money and politics making a lotta decisions on the ASMFC, there would likely have been some reduction. First of all, the timing would never have been better - everyone was certain that we were going to see reductions and much of the whining was already out of the way. What better time to take a slightly conservative stance as the board responsible for protecting the striped bass stocks? The sticker shock of a reduction had passed, rumors were all over that there was going to be a substantial reduction - many folks had already begun to make plans on how to deal with it.

The atmosphere was perfect for a sensible, cautious reduction - most folks anticipated a huge reduction...what a perfect time to do anything for even a slightly conservative reduction. I don't think we'll see such an atmosphere again, not until the TC is "absolutely certain" that we've been killing far too many for far too long.

The scariest thing is the rebuilding schedule - once we finally beat the stripers into an overfished state - the ASMFC has 10 years to rebuild them to just the target SSB numbers.

Ten years is a long time - in fact, it was 10 years ago this season that they were declared "recovered" and the flood gates of harvest were opened. How many people here have been targeting striped bass since 1995? Ten years is a long time.

TimS

Right. They had a choice and they chose to wait a year and see if the problem is the model or if there truly is overfishing. It was their call to make, as it always is.

But to be clear, they really only followed the TCs advice. The TC said to not raise harvest, and that's what the board did...but they didn't take any proactive measures given that advice. Had the TC said to reduce harvest, I'm guessing they would have.

And it may yet come to that point.