Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mcurtiss

Is the Religious Right done with Politics?

Rate this topic

174 posts in this topic

My issues with the religious right are social issues.

What it boils down to is they want the laws molded to their religious beliefs when the constitution clearly states we have the freedom of religion and from religion.

If you don't support gay marriage, don't marry your gender. If you don't support abortion, don't get an abortion. I don't know why it has to be any more difficult than that.

View Post GOP will not regain power until they dissassociate with the hateful bigots of the religious right and appeal to more moderate voters. So get used to it.

Until enough men have been in the foxholes, there will never be enough Christian persuasion in the GOP as there used to be as there were in the days of war and tribulation....(and where do you think a Godless society is going to lead us?)

View Post

What it boils down to is they want the laws molded to their religious beliefs when the constitution clearly states we have the freedom of religion and from religion.

A worthwhile point to ponder....and where would we be without the laws which prevent the basic thou shalt not murder, steal, etc.........?? Although there is always some "freedom" which the laws of God have affected, the actual effect of God's laws have served to enhance the quality of life, not diminish it...

If you don't support gay marriage, don't marry your gender. If you don't support abortion, don't get an abortion. I don't know why it has to be any more difficult than that.

If you don't support murder, then don't murder, yeah.......real good thinking, Patrick...

View PostIf you don't support murder, then don't murder, yeah.......real good thinking, Patrick...

Piss poor excuse. Truly terrible.

Laws against murder, rape, theft are laws that every man of any or no faith can embrace. These rules of conduct have been in just about every nation.

No one is suggesting for people to make and follow their own laws but you can't expect me to follow a law based on a book that I don't believe.

View PostPiss poor excuse. Truly terrible.

Laws against murder, rape, theft are laws that every man of any or no faith can embrace. These rules of conduct have been in just about every nation.

No one is suggesting for people to make and follow their own laws but you can't expect me to follow a law based on a book that I don't believe.

The Founding Fathers, Christian YES?

Patrick you are a Liberal and an Atheist. You have no faith, you have no belief. You build your house from straw and think it is a strong house, just like Obama is your Illusion of a great man, so is your strong house just an Illusion.

View PostThe Founding Fathers, Christian YES?

Patrick you are a Liberal and an Atheist. You have no faith, you have no belief. You build your house from straw and think it is a strong house, just like Obama is your Illusion of a great man, so is your strong house just an Illusion.

Let's assume for a second that the founding fathers were Christian. I mean, not all of them were, but for the sake of your little fantasy, we'll assume they were.

Now, let's look at the first amendment.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

In the very first amendment, the very first line is about not establishing a religion. The first line of the first amendment! Even if they were bible thumping Christians, they recognized the importance of putting the rights of the people before their own personal beliefs.

Of course, that's all moot since the brightest minds that forged this country were atheists and agnostics.

View PostMy issues with the religious right are social issues.

People should be free to vote their beliefs whether secular or religious. Why should secular "morality" trump religious? That's silly.

View Post

(More than likely this was taken out of context, if he had really understood that the Christian right is really Christian, as is Dr. Dobson, he would have realized that the Christian is never "defeated", it is only a never ending struggle against the powers of darkness and untruth.....and until the day of the Lord, will continue to be an unending battle, with losses as well as wins.

Change Christian to Muslim, and Lord to Allah and this sounds like something you'd hear from the mullahs in Iran. I mean really, what's the difference?

I don't believe religion has a place in politics, neither did the founders.

I have nothing against religons per se, I just don't believe they have a place in politics....at all.

View PostPatrick, got to agree with you there. Well said!

Wrong!!!

Therein is the problem. The Constitution does not say separation of Church and state. It clearly states "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;" (1st amendment).

View PostLet's assume for a second that the founding fathers were Christian. I mean, not all of them were, but for the sake of your little fantasy, we'll assume they were.

Now, let's look at the first amendment.

In the very first amendment, the very first line is about not establishing a religion. The first line of the first amendment! Even if they were bible thumping Christians, they recognized the importance of putting the rights of the people before their own personal beliefs.

Of course, that's all moot since the brightest minds that forged this country were atheists and agnostics.

An established religion is a state based church, like the "Church Of England" and one could make an excellent argument that the political/moral disenfranchisement you espouse is a violation of the "free exercise" clause. The founding Fathers added these clauses to protect religion from the State, not the other way around, which is why it begins with "Congress shall make no law..."

View PostWrong!!!

Therein is the problem. The Constitution does not say separation of Church and state. It clearly states "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;" (1st amendment).

View PostAn established religion is a state based church, like the "Church Of England" and one could make an excellent argument that the political/moral disenfranchisement you espouse is a violation of the "free exercise" clause. The founding Fathers added these clauses to protect religion from the State, not the other way around, which is why it begins with "Congress shall make no law..."

Thanks Guys!!!beers.gif

Patrick, the constitution prevents the establishment of a sanctioned "state religion". There is nothing in the constitution that does or should prevent people from establishing standards of conduct that are aligned with their religious views.

Community standards for behavior including marriage laws, public drunkeness laws and things like "thou shalt not kill" are all valid laws even though they align with any number of religions. The laws do not in any way, shape or form, require anyone to practice a given religion or to accept an established state religion.

This part of the constitution was developed because in Europe, state religions were decreed by the King and everyone was forced to practice the state religion du jour.

What was intended was that the government of this country could never tell people which religion they must observe and that was all. There is nothing that can be construed as an "anti-religion" position - or a position that no law could be passed if it was also in alignment with the tenets of one religion or another.

So, it's legal to make a law that you cannot have sex with animals. It is not legal to pass a law forcing you to go to become a member of a State created "American Church of God".

View PostI want people like YOU, OUT OF MY REPUBLICAN PARTY! You make the rest of the party look like loons with the "every Democrat or liberal doesn't believe in God" line of BS. The quicker you nut jobs go back to handling snakes, the quicker the Republican party can be healed and move forward.

One of these days I'm going to buy you a beer.

I'm not saying we should abolish religion. I'm not saying the religious right should not have a say in what's going on in our country.

I'm saying that the rights of the people are above the individual's religious beliefs.