Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
carp13

Will a boat wake send me swimming?

18 posts in this topic

I am new to kayaking,only paddled one once over ten years ago.I just purchased a Malibu Stealth 12 and I am planning on taking it out on a large freshwater lake on opening day.This lake has alot of boat traffic and boats with large motors.The Stealth is 12'4" long and has a 33" beam.My question is,do I need to turn my kayak into the wake of every boat that goes flying by me or should I have no problem concentrating on fishing?My guess is that the water is still going to be very chilly come April 18 and I want to be prepared,trying not to take a swim until July sometime.Thanks in advance.

I haven't had a problem yet but I've never had to deal with a real close call or anything either. I try to stay concious of the wakes as they approach and lean as needed. For the most part, I usually just "enjoy the ride." Unless you are talking about a REALLY big boat or a real close pass at a decent speed - I think you won't have a problem.

I always turn because that's what I was taught when boating.

A few times I've been caught dead on and I didn't capsize or anything. There was just a noticeable slap when the bow came down.

If you catch them at an angle, you slide right down the back of the wake no problem.

Boats at plane won;t bother you it;s the guys chugging around pushing a bow wake. Try to take them over the bow or front quarters. It's the ones you don;t see from the rear quarters that get me smile.gif Still haven;t gone over yet though. Scott

Good question, I am a newbie myself to yaking.

I alway wonder about this, seems like you get some good feedback.

My plan on my maiden trip is to be a dare devil, push it to the limit!

Just me, paddle and yak. I will try fall off, wake, get on back, weight balance, etc.

I was also thinking about packing, just incase a boat is heading for my head.lol.

Under water google will come in handy for a quick dive.?

I see some yak video with guys having a flag on there yak for visiblity.

turn into them to start, when you get a sense of your yak you will be more comfortable letting wake hit you at whatever angle. I fish a large salt water bay, and find it is important to stay aware of whats going on. I am especially cautious of crossing wakes from multiple boats, the odd chop can throw you.

Thanks to evereyone for all of the good information,just registered on this site today after looking at it for about a week,Great site,kudos to the guys in charge!Can't believe all the good and QUICK information I'm getting.Again thank you to everyone invoved.

A little off topic but.... If you are going out please have the appropriate dry gear for the water temp. Waders dry top, drysuit etc. This time of year it is very easy to become a statistic.

First of all you should not be paddling with the boats. I cant think of any place where I couldnt get from poit A to B without avoiding boat traffic. If you are froced to cut across boat traffic then like others have said you use your hips to react to boat wake. When I do demos before I let the customer loose from the 12 deep water I make them show me they can rock the boat violently from port to starboard but I hold their neck stationary below their head. At first they try to move their head but Im holding it still. Within seconds they understand and start doing the "Hula dance "as I call it with their hips and then I cut them loose for the demo.