Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hammy

AI north of State Park?

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

We just hiked from the State Park to the OC inlet this past w/e. It was a long walk, but I'm glad we did it. Only vehicles we saw were park rangers. I may have to do that hike again with a rod. There is some great looking water up there. The last mile has a bit of a cape, some rips and of course the structure of the jetty.

drool.gif

I did that same hike years ago (circa 1989-1990) in January after a major NE storm. I left at something like 11:00 am and hiked straight up to the jetty, hung out for maybe a half hour and hiked back. It was pitch black by the time I got back and the only way I knew how to start crossing over the dunes was from headlights from cars coming over the bridge - there were virtually no lights on at the state park parking lot!

I can't remember how far it is, (6 miles seems to stick in my mind???) but its a fairly long hike. If you're planning on tossing lures it's probably feasible, but I don't think you want to even think about hauling a cooler or any sort of bait.

We left the State Park at about 9:30 and didn't really stop until we hit the inlet. We headed back after about an hour for lunch and got back to the car at around 4:15. I have to admit that we were all very tired and felt it the next day. I had heard the distance was 7 miles, each way. I would say that 6.5 is pretty accurate, though. I don't have access to a skiff, but I'm considering a kayak launch from Stinky Beach to the bay side north end. I'm not sure if I'm cautious or just chicken, but that water around the inlet scares the stuffing out me. There was a guy on the south side of the south jetty in a kayak when we were up there. He didn't seem too concerned.

I estimated it at 6 miles and it was a tough full day of hiking in the sand with no shelter. Lots of fun though. Its an easy boat road from commercial Harbor in West OC. Even saw some kids come across on surfboards. Careful in the summer all kinds of boat traffic and I couldn't verify much intelligence on some of the boat operators.